6v Battery Installation in 3600RL

Buckboarddriver

Experienced with 5'ers
I have a 3600 RL and am considering going to 4 6v batteries as we dry camp quite a bit. I also plan to install an inverter make some 110v to check weather etc. using satellite.

Question is, has anyone installed 4 6v batteries and how/where did you put them. I could put one where the stock 12v is and 3 in the landing gear (lg) compartment or just put all 4 in the lg compartment.

I have some concerns about the weight on the lg floor and whether it will take the load.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
As you can see we have the exact same rig as you...we installed 4 Trojan T-105's in the front compartment on the driver's side. We've had no problem with the weight on the metal floor, it's doing just fine.

We also installed a 1500 Watt Xantrex inverter just above the batteries on the wall that separates the front compartment from the main cargo area. We have a 125W solar panel on the roof and use a Morningstar solar charge controller to keep the batteries charged. We have a battery switch installed that allows us to run just the main 12V battery, just the 4 6V batteries, all together or shut them all off...depending on what we want to do. We wired the entertainment center directly to the inverter so, when boondocking, we can run the things that draw the most, like the TV, satellite, computer, etc., directly from the 6V battery bank.

This set-up has worked great for more than three years...however, think we're gonna add two more solar panels so the batteries will fully charge by evening without having to use the generater at all...hope this helps.

SmokeyBare

I centered the 4 pack of 6 Volt Batteries in the front compartment using angle steel to keep them from moving. Some guys have installed a very nice plastic box to hold them in attaching a vent hose. I didn't go that direction. I simply made a plywood shelf to cover the top of the bank of batteries which is hinged from the rear wall.

I charge this bank of batteries with 4 solar panels. The Inverter is also attached to the back wall of the front compartment. My Inverter ONLY provides power to one side or to one leg of the RV's 50 Amp Breaker box.

Attachments

• IMG_2242.JPG
    IMG_2242.JPG
    571.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2240.JPG
    IMG_2240.JPG
    417.3 KB · Views: 88

Buckboarddriver

Experienced with 5'ers
I have considered the plywood shelf idea since that would allow some light storage above the batteries. I had not considered centering the batteries in the compartment. Makes sense to distribute the weight evenly in the unit. Good ideas like this are why I submit these posts. Thanks for the input.