2 WD low switch for F-250-350 4x4

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Aways thought there should be a 'low' 2 wheel rear drive option on the Ford 4x4s. A 2 WD low gear makes it so easy to back our RV's in tight spots and up steep grades. The front hubs use a relay to direct vaccum to engage the front drive. I installed a switch in series with the (yellow/gray) wire going to relay. Anytime I want super low gear rear 2 WD power the switch can be opened. Note: a top speed of 45 mph and the 4x4 low switch on the dash must be engaged. I mounted the switch near the relay but It could be run inside the cab to the upliftter switches.

Attachments

• 2wdLow.JPG
    2wdLow.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 49

jnbhobe

Manual hubs on the 450????? Mine has a switch on the dash that lets me go from 2 wheel drive to 4 - low or 4 - high.

Actually Keith that switch is an option on a Ford. Alan has a lever on the floor and manual hubs. You just got the deluxe version for a special guy !!!!! :D :D :D

RoadJunkie

I mounted the switch near the relay but It could be run inside the cab to the upliftter switches.

The Upfitter switches provide power to a source, wouldn't you need an intermediate relay (operated from the Upfitter switch) to duplicate your modification? Or, is the yellow/gray wire a 12v source that can be supplied directly by the Upfitter switch; That is once you determined the "down-side" end of the yellow/gray wire when cut.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
The Upfitter switches provide power to a source, wouldn't you need an intermediate relay (operated from the Upfitter switch) to duplicate your modification? Or, is the yellow/gray wire a 12v source that can be supplied directly by the Upfitter switch; That is once you determined the "down-side" end of the yellow/gray wire when cut.

Your right on the Uplifter switches being powered with a relay so the power to the switch must be cut somehow so it can be used for ON/OFF only. The wire I cut and spliced the switch in controls the air vaccum valve to the front end automatic hubs. I've read that many Ford owners have done this with no negative effects. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

jnbhobe

As I think about this switch I wonder what is the reason for it ?? The only problem I have seen with Ford auto hubs is from not using them. I use 4X4 low range every time I go to my camp. ( uphill off side backing low range gives you great control ) By using the 4X4 mode you lubricate the hubs and more important the wheel, axel and drive shaft U-joints. I also turn in the manual hubs once in a while because they tend to freeze up. Thats just my opinion !!!!! JON

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
As I think about this switch I wonder what is the reason for it ?? The only problem I have seen with Ford auto hubs is from not using them. I use 4X4 low range every time I go to my camp. ( uphill off side backing low range gives you great control ) By using the 4X4 mode you lubricate the hubs and more important the wheel, axel and drive shaft U-joints. I also turn in the manual hubs once in a while because they tend to freeze up. Thats just my opinion !!!!! JON
The reason for the switch is the truck turns and drives 100% better than 4x4 low. Try it, put your truck in 4x4 low and try to turn a corner. It allows you to have 10 speeds in 2 wd (5 gears low range and 5 gears high range).

jnbhobe

Why would someone want to go over a crawl in low range any way. I know that it would steer better with the front disengaged, but at 5 mph and a few hundred feet, whats the difference. I agree there is nothing like low range. As I said just my curiosity.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Actually Keith that switch is an option on a Ford. Alan has a lever on the floor and manual hubs. You just got the deluxe version for a special guy !!!!! :D :D :D

Thanks for the "Special Guy" handle Jon. Not really sure it fits though. More appropriate would be "uneducated guy." I didn't realize it was an option. I told the dealer what I wanted and this is the way it came but we never discussed that option. My suspicion is that it came grouped with one of the "packages" I ordered.

Keith

porthole

Retired
Haven't found the wire or relay yet, but on a 2011 Ford (super duty) fuse #39 in the under hood fuse panel controls the hubs. Pull it and you have 2WD low.
I use it for backing into my driveway.