Thought I had an A/C problem....

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Just wanted to relay some info about our main AC in the livingroom. When we left the last campground we turned off the A/C and hooked up. Headed down the road to go to Arrowhead Marina and RV Park in Mansville NY. When we arrived they only had 30a power. I thought I had requested 50a. When I connected to the power I leveled the trailer, put out the slides and when the SurgeGuard clicked in I turned on the A/C. Nothing, Nada. Went to the bedroom and turned on that A/C. Worked. The Frig worked, the TV worked, the fan worked. I thought it might be a branch out so I rechecked the SurgGuard. All OK.

Well this morning I got out my volt meter and all the other tools I thought I might need to find the problem. I opened up the inside of the A/C and looked around. Wanted to see where the AC might enter so I pushed some of the control wires aside and on came the A/C. The wire harness plug had slipped out just enough to loose connection.

Boy did I breath a sigh of relief.

The reason for this post is to help anyone that might find their A/C quit working between getting to a new campground that you might check the wiring harness first to be sure it had not become dislodged. Might save you some head aches and a lot of unnecessary testing.

BC

wdk450

Bobcat:
Something I came up with from repairing medical devices is to apply a strip of elastometric adhesive (like "Shoe Goo" ) to the external connecting shells of an electrical connector to prevent disconnects. This type of rubberized adhesive holds well, but can be easily removed.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I thought of something also that would help. Kathy are you listening??? If I took a short strip of Rescue Tape and put around the connector it would hold it tight and I would not have to worry about it being glued. The Rescue tape would be easy to cut off with a pocket knife and would also keep any condensation, dirt and such off the connector.

If you do not have any Rescue tape in your RV you should get some. It works on a lot of things perfectly. You would be suprised where I have used some of the tape. This is not a commercial for Kathy and Ken, but something I have found a good use for.

Ok. Now do I get my 50 cent bonus? :D

BC

jbeletti

Bob,

When you say you opened up the AC, do you mean the large white panel around the chill-grate (with 4 screws)? Just wanting to clarify for those who may attempt this, that you don't mean on the roof. Of course, always do this sort of messin' around with the AC power disconnected :) Hate to catch a hand in a fan cage!

Jim

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Bob,
When you say you opened up the AC, do you mean the large white panel around the chill-grate (with 4 screws)? Jim

Yep, that was it. I agree about watching out for live wires but I needed to know if I had power to the unit. I was going to test it with my volt meter.

I have been working with electricity for over 40 years so I was confident in what I was looking for.

I agree, if your not confortable working with live power get a good electrician to do the checking for you.

BC