PDA

View Full Version : New truck... need new hitch...input please

tdharley
11-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Bought the new truck today & will be picking it up next Friday in Ill.

Wound up buying a 2007 Chevy 3500 Silverado dually.

I had a Pullrite Superglide and it worked great for me. Since the new truck has a long bed I will be replacing it with a non sliding hitch.

I saw the rep. from B&W at the Penn. RV Supershow and was impressed with their hitch. It broke down into peices quite easily.

I also need advice on the size hitch. I have a 3500RL with the center island & double door ref. The book says the rig weighs 10,950 lbs. I think I need to add the ref , kitchen island , washer/dryer combo & my crap.
I figure 13,000????? What do you think? I really do not have any weigh station close. I will weigh it next camp out in Conn.

I would rather not over buy on the hitch due to the weight differences.

Any input will help

katkens
11-03-2006, 05:32 PM
I believe a 16K would be my choice more than adequate. I bought a Reese Signature Series 18K, the reason for this was the 16K didn't have 4-way pivot. I have under bed mounts and after removal have a clean bed. I believe ChopperBill has the B&W Hitch might talk to him for more insight. Nice truck and you will love the Allison. Happy Trails, :) Ken

HappyKayakers
11-03-2006, 06:52 PM
My 3600RL has a listed dry weight of 11880. We're fulltiming in it and when loaded for travel, it weighs around 14500. We haven't had any problems at all with the Husky 16k pivoting hitch. Hope this helps.

sislv
11-03-2006, 06:59 PM
We have the Reese 16K Hitch and do have 4 way pivot on it. The horizontal pivot came in handy last summer unhooking and hooking back up on two uneven ground sites.

Tom

ct0218
11-03-2006, 07:09 PM
I have the Husky w/4 way pivot. I like the way it locks in when you're hitching up, automatic!

tdharley
11-03-2006, 08:35 PM
I have been reading alot about air pin boxes & air hitches.. What do you think???

ChopperBill
11-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Have the B&W. Solid as a rock. No slop and no clatter. Don't think you will need an air ride. I don't.

driver311
11-03-2006, 08:59 PM
why do you need a new hitch?

driver311:) :)

tdharley
11-03-2006, 09:10 PM
There are some drawbacks to a slider hitch.

First you cannot unhitch at more than a 16 degree angle without having to remove clevis pins on the mounting plate and over elevate the unit.

Also you need to adapt the pinbox to accept the Superglide. After the adaption you cannot be hitched to any other regular hitch without a 140.00 adaptor. I worry about emergencies were I would have to be towed.

Besides those drawbacks the hitch did do what it was supposed to do very smoothly.

Tom of Ypsi
11-03-2006, 09:46 PM
16 k hitch should be plenty. I have a 20 k Reese recommended by the dealer and Camping World because of the weight of my coach.

billd
11-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Congrats on the new truck. Let us know how it works out for you. I have seen the B&W turnover with the companion, and it is a sweet setup and leaves you bed clean when you take the hitch out.

I think that would be your best overall hitch, I think you would be better adding the Mor/Ryde rubber pin box with the B&W hitch for a smooth towing experience.

Bill

nscaler2
11-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Sounds like a great new truck. We have a 2006 F350 but would like the Allison transmission. It's too bad we can't have the best of all of them. Anyway, we have the B&W Companion and LOVE it. Besides being a great hitch to pull with, the ability to have your flat bed back is great. Just finished the day helping my daughter and her husband erect a pole barn on their property. It took me all of 10 minutes to separate and remove the B&W and I had my full bed back to haul things like a skid of concrete sacks, an air compressor and a number of other things. Love having the full use of a pickup with a flat bed.

tdharley
11-05-2006, 07:00 AM
Thanks for all the input

I am leaning toward the B&W hitch with some sort of pin box cushioning system, have not decided whuich one yet.

I would of liked the Ford also (will miss my King Ranch) but all the articles & input I received made me go with the Chevy because of the 6 speed Allison tranny. It is a real plain truck, all the options but real boring exterior. I will be doing some matching decals.

fireflipper
11-05-2006, 05:18 PM
TDHARLEY
I to have the suplerglide and went from a short bed to a long bed truck. I did not want to spend the money on a new hitch so I had my mechanic put the plate on the king pin with hex screws, about eighteen in all. He drilled the kingpin and tapped it to accept a machine screw thread. Now if I need to have it towed by some one else, I simply unbolt the plate and they can hook up.
I also tow fiver from Heartland for a dealer, and Pullrite does not make an adaptor to go from a regular king pin box to my slider. So I made up a jig that simply holds the plate to any king pin set up without the screws or bolts. As you know you cna not hook up a trailer without the plate to the Super slider. If you think this may become a problem, e-mail me and I will let you know how this is done.

tdharley
11-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Thanks Fireflipper

Those are some good thoughts on the hitch and a work around.

I am going to throw my hitch on ebay and see what I get. I only need to get abut 800.00 for it to get the complete B&W system.

Work arounds and adapting things are not my usual way of doing things. With my luck I will get into an accident and some bureacrat from the NTSB or some other agency or worse yet my insurance company will blame it on me for not using the hitch for it's intended use.

PS My installer welded my plate on. :mad:

phranc
11-06-2006, 08:31 PM
With the Reese/Drawtite hitch 'Signature Series', the 4 way pivot starts at the 18,000 # level.. With other Reese hitches you can have the 4 way pivot with different weight ranges..
The B&W was at the top of my list , but a local hitch shop made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the Reese Signature.. I like it also...

nhunter
11-06-2006, 09:16 PM
What makes the Allison transmission so much better than the Ford. I like my torque shift and haven't had any problems in two trucks.

Ken Washington
11-06-2006, 09:28 PM
To answer this question, all you have to do is come down a steep grade and you will find out. Hit the brakes one time and thats all! I think it is a very strong transmission also!

Ken

tdharley
11-06-2006, 10:05 PM
My brother has a 2004 Chevy with a 5 speed Allison tranny. It is the difference between night & day.

I can tell you from experience, being able to drive both trucks, the Allison is much stronger. No whining down hills.

katkens
11-07-2006, 09:02 AM
My brother has a 2004 Chevy with a 5 speed Allison tranny. It is the difference between night & day.

I can tell you from experience, being able to drive both trucks, the Allison is much stronger. No whining down hills.
It's like having a exhaust brake built in and seems to know what you want to do a split second before you need to do it. My DW even thinks it awesome and thats really a complement.:) Ken

billd
11-07-2006, 10:22 AM
So what we really need is a truck with the Ford chassis, Chevy Allison Tranny, and Dodge Cummins Engine. That would be sweet.

I can dream :D

Bill

jbeletti
11-07-2006, 11:15 AM
billd,

We're sharing the same dream. :)

Jim

tdharley
11-07-2006, 01:54 PM
We can call it a.......... Chordge

Eduardo37
11-07-2006, 02:08 PM
When I fueled up this morning a guy pulled in at the next pump in a Ford 350. I finished and started up my Duramax and he came knocking at my window to ask if this was really a diesel. He was really impressed with how quiet it was compared to his. Not denigrating the Ford, just a comment on how quiet the Chevy is by comparison.

tdharley
11-21-2006, 06:59 PM
An update............

I picked up the new truck in Illinois. Chevy 3500 DRW.

Sold the pullrite hitch & order the B&W.

Am seriously thinking about making the 2006 Rally to meet & greet everyone. That means one less motorcycle rally this year then...Hmm tough decision.

Went crazy on ebay ordered 2 Fantastic fans, 3 fan covers, exterior am/fm cd player, 2 more scare lights, Kingdome sattellite receiver and am look for a W/D for the wife. Now all I need is the time to install everything including the new hitch.

Thanks for all your input

LADalton
01-05-2007, 08:41 PM
I would like to know any information on the 5 th wheel hitches.

1: Using a standard 20K Draw Tite, Reese, or Trailer Saver 4 way head hitch and use a Mor/Ryde or 5th Airborne Pin Box.

2: Using a standard pin box and use a Air Ride, or Easy-Rider hitch.

What would any one say about item 1 or 2. I am trying to decide what to buy and install on the truck and or toy hauler.

Ford 3500 Dually 2000. and a Heartland Cyclone 4012 Toy Hauler 40 Ft.

Thank you all for any input.
Lee

phranc
01-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Hey Lee, Just looking at your sig and you sure have all the good toys....
Seriously .though...Either combo might be equally satisfactory.. But you might have less maintenance with the Mor-ryde pin box .. I also would consider the B&W hitch or the reese/Drawtite signature series..

BluegrassMan
01-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi All:
Personally I like the Air pin box on my landmark. It keeps the chucking to a minimum. Of course on bad chuck holes, nothing is very good.

randes
02-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Does anyone know much about the Hensley TS3 Hitch? I talked with Hensley on Tuesday and they said their hitch was a bit pricy but you wouldn't need a air type pin box.

Also What is the B&W hitch mentioned so much. Does anyone have a link?

I plan to order a 3055RL within a couple of weeks and now I wonder if I should order the Trail Air Pin Box or not.
Roy

Tom of Ypsi
02-08-2007, 07:12 AM
Roy,

I am not that familiar with the B&W hitch but here is a link www.turnoverball.com I see a lot of good comments on this hitch. I have a Reese 20K hitch and I am satisfied with that. I also have a Hidden Hitch 15K in my garage that is for sale which served me well when I had my Titanium.