wet bolt kit's

1231ChaseB

Has anyone went to a wet bolt kit with 1/2 inch shackle's for the Lippert axle's ? There's several out there but not sure they will fit the Lippert axle ! Maybe someone else has been thru this and could save me some time with a lot of telephone call's !
ChaseB

lwmcguir

Mine are all 9/16 bolts, wasn't even aware they came in 1/2 inch. Never had any smaller than 9/16 in the past 40 or so years. The heavier shackles are a very good thing if you are going to tow very many miles.

lwmcguir

When you can swing it go to the CP system. You get it all with it but if you aren't going to travel quite a ways probably overkill.

gpshemi

Did a little research, but came up half empty. So excuse my ignorance on this question.

Could a person make a wet bolt kit, by drilling a hole in a grade 8, tapping the end for a zerk? (I have access to a lathe btw)
The little bronze bushings to replace the plastic can be found through McMaster Carr or Grainger I'm sure.
Seems like a person could make a wet bolt kit on the cheap easy enough. I couldn't find any good pictures to verify my thoughts.

lwmcguir

The bolts are specially made for shackles. They are fluted on one end and they are 9/16 inch diameter. I don't think you can buy anything else that is the same so you might as well just get something that will be safe. The flutes are to keep the bolts from turning in the shackles and in the hangers. If they turn then you wear out the hangers. Best to get the bushings from a trailer parts sales as they are made specially for this service and arent the same that might find elsewhere. Why reinvent the wheel when it will cost you more in the long run?

MC9

I just installed wet bolts 2 days ago on my Sundance. I have the Equaflex, so I called Trailair and they shipped me the correct number of bolts (14) sleeves (8) and new nuts. 46 bucks for regulars and 56 for the 1/2 in. shackles. Be glad to discuss installation.

gpshemi

GPS, why would you want to go to all that trouble for $70.00???

Cause I'm cheap. Haha...no I'm kidding.

After researching it some more I see the prices I'm looking at include the center equalizer. At first I was thinking $200+ for bolts is crazy even for "special" bolts, but now I see it all more clearly. In fact, I think I may buck up and buy a Dexter or Trail Air kit for mine after seeing how the axles flex over this past weekend. WOW....

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
GPS, good man....I knew you would see it our way. See old guys are not so dumb after all. Thats how we got "OLD"

rnewk52

I installed the wet bolt kit on my Cyclone 3812 today. I already had the ez flex, so all I needed were the bolts, bushings and shackles. I ordered them directly from Dexter and it took me about 7 hours to complete the installation. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Also had all the tires balanced while they were off. I don't understand why Heartland doesn't install the wet bolts at the factory. My parts cost for three axles was about $150.00 plus freight. I'm sure Heartland could buy the parts cheaper than I can and there would be no labor difference between installing the dry bolts and the wet bolts. A trailer at this price point, quality, and weight should not be on dry plastic spring bushings. Just my opinion.