Failure of hydraulic self leveling system

TARRY

I purchased a 2011 landmark, grand canyon on march 31, 2010
before leaving rv of sacramento we were unable to use the self leveling feature.
We took it out anyway so that we could find if there might be other problems, needless to say we were not disapointed, we brought unit back the following weekend with our list.
Rv os sacramento tookcare of most of the items that needed to be addressed and we again took it out, and again the leveling system failed.
We again returned the rig to them and picked it up last weekend feelinvery good that finally we were in good shape (wrong)
when activating th auto self leveling system the driver side jack llifted that side off the ground and jack buckeled away from rig on a 30 degree angle and the other side lifted both tires off the ground.
Trailer had to be towed back to dealer, and as of this writing no decision has been made as to how they are going to handle.
Oh by the way refrigerator stopped working (this is the second time)_
and the slideout would not retrack.
Has anyone else had similar problems and how did heartland respond?
Thank you, tarry winfrey

jimtoo

Hi Tarry,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sorry to hear your having problems with your levelup system. I am sure your dealer and Heartland will get things taken care of for you. Heartland is great on customer service. If your dealer does not get you going quickly, you might contact Heartland customer service yourself and ask for help.

Enjoy the forum and keep us informed as to the results.

Jim M

lwmcguir

Tarry,

Welcome as well and I sure hope it is downhill from here. Congratulations on your purchase first and second on your patience. We had a few issues as well but not quite as bad as yours. We got them taken care and enjoy the coach.

Larry

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Tarry, Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. While we all don't like to see nasty issues like these, rest assured, Heartland will make this right. Here's hoping all is resolved quickly and to your satisfaction.

TARRY

Wow! After posting on the forum (and i believe it only to be a coincidence) i have had at least 3 calls with heartland and 2 calls from service center in manteca, ca.
I have been told that lippert will be replacing my whole leveling system and jacks along with frame inspection to take care of the tweeking that occuered from failure.
They also are working with dometic on my refrigerator issues.
It would appear that everyone is stepping up to the plate and working on my problems
tarry winfrey
p.s. Thanks to all that responded to me
pss will let you'all know my outcome

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Tarry, it sounds like the ball is rolling. Stuff does happen. I have read your first post and didn't see any anger or bashing about what a rotten rig you have. Nor did did I see that you tell everybody you see that they should not buy one of these rigs. Or feel it is not your obligation to make a phone call.
Sounds like your service center in CA is doing the right things.
Kinda makes a person wonder, well not me, why some can not get any satisfaction on repairs.
Just me thinking out loud.

Peace
Dave

TARRY

Well its going on 3 weeks since my 2011 landmark got towed to shop and they say they have replaced everything that has to do with self leveling system but now one fo the pumps in the system has burnt out and needs to be replaced, and the unit is not resonding to auto set up. However i am told it works well in manual mode. (so did my old one) needless to say after returning this rig 3 times to repair same problem is starting to make me wonder ( you can read between the lines)

TARRY

I'm back, well after lippert replaced everything possible we took landmark out again and again system failed miserably and had to be towed to shop.
My wife was in tears and hyper ventilating and had a hard tim breathing after the rig bounced about six inches off center and scared the c----p out of us.
I have told heartland that we have had it with this unit and want to have it replaced or refund our money,
four times in the shop and six months of not working properly has gone far enough.
I still trying to keep cool on this but it is very trying

tarry winfrey

Willym

Hang in there. The hydraulic system does move the trailer quite quickly sometimes, but this is nothing when compared to hitting bumps on the road. If the unit was able to be levelled manually OK, then there can't be a great deal wrong and I'm surprised that Lippert cannot make it work. If the dealer has replaced everything possible, perhaps some of the original wiring is hooked up incorrectly. Is it actually Lippert that is working on the system, or is it your dealer following Lippert directions? If it is your dealer, then perhaps ask them to get an actual Lippert tech to look at the system.

My system works really well, and many others report good results, so it should be fixable.

Last edited:

TARRY

Thanks for the reply, again heartland tells me that a lippert tech is flying in to fix problem again.
They (heartland) said that they were not aware that the frame was bent from the last failure.
However i say again replace the rig oe refund my purchase price this trailer is hexed, too many things have gone wrong,
we have owned it for 6 months and have only had it available for a week and then before taking it out of the shop the system was not working (3rd time returned)
dont get me wrong, we love the trailer and want to be able to use it in the matter in which we purchased it but we have tied up too much time and dollars and not been able to enjoy our dream trailer.
Tarry

traveler44

If I were having the same problems I would get the self leveling problem fixed FIRST. Some of the other problems may be caused by the out of level condition. The unit should be level for the fridge and slideouts to work properly. Mine isn't level all the time going down the road but the fridge still works because it doesn't stay out of level long enough to hurt anything. Tom M.