Alaska - Any good campgrounds around Anchorage??

Just got back from a Alaska "Inside Passage" cruise and will have to return someday with the 5th wheel. Is it possible? If so, where are some good campgrounds?

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We stayed at the Golden Nugget RV Parks and it was pretty good. We stopped at another Good Sam and it was a real dump, it doesn't appear to be ion the guide anymore..../Doug

The RV Parks that we seen while on land excursions in Alaska looked to have extremely tight spaces but nice scenery. Probably gettin spoiled by the larger campsites offered in the Midwest. The campground in Skagway was more of a parking lot though. Maybe we were looking in the wrong places?

Willym

There are lots of campgrounds in Alaska and the Yukon territory. Most of them are not fancy, and are mainly gravel with few trees and little landscaping. We had no problem getting into them in our Rushmore which is not a small rig. We didn't spend long in the campgrounds though, there is lots of exploring to do.

If anyone is planning to go I recommend the book by Mike & Terri Church, "The Guide to Alaska Camping", published by Rolling Homes Press. It gives good info on all campgrounds, the highways and attractions. This, along with "The Milepost", was invaluable to us on our recent trip.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Here is some information passd to me from a good friend who just returned from Alaska...

Just got back from a 2.5 month trip to Alaska on 9/1/10. I agree with everything that Willym April, 2010, stated about the books to get. The Guide to Alaska Camping" and "The Milepost". The current Milepost can be ordered in the spring of the year or purchased from most any store starting in Dawson Creek, BC, Mile o. We kept both books in the cab of the truck at all times. A draw back to the RV parks is that most of them only have 15 amp service. (They generate their own power)

The only addition I would make is look for roadside parking areas. Most have great scenery. It helps to have a generator, but you can make do without one. The best part is that the camp space is free. When traveling, we would say in roadside areas 3 to 5 days and then stay in a RV park. Using this method our average cost for camping was about $12.00 per night.

Willym

We only had to contend with 15 amp service once. Everywhere else we had 30 and sometimes 50 amp service.