M18 - Pretty but rotten...

Gillbiss

I was happy to buy an Edge M18 «full body paint» that was supposed to be a 2011, but strangely different from latest 2011 models. Sure it was expensive but so pretty. Each time I go out, someone comes and asks me for information on this beauty. Unfortunately, this was the beginning of an infinite number of problems.

As it is very beautiful, it was in the middle of the showroom. The first time we saw in the sun, we found large bubbles in the back of the RV. The giant fiberglass panel was not well glued to the wood. They told me not to worry that it would be repaired in the fall. Now, however, your company refuses to pay the expensive fees needed to fix the problem since it is a «full body paint». My dealer told me they will try to repair it themselves this fall, but they seem very skeptical as I am.

Then came the first rain ... a large piece of wood was missing from the «slideout», resulting in a flood of water on the floor. My dealer make the repair immediately. Last week, it rains again. Guess what? yet a flood of water on the floor. This time, it seems to be the fault of the seal above the «slideout». Another customer have exactly the same problem with the M18.

The air conditioned alone is a nightmare. Even after the reseller has tried to repair it, it is still controlled by the outside temperature, not that of the interior. During the day, when it's hot, it’s worked continuously until it is completely frozen. Then it finally stops and spills a lot of water on the floor (yes, water again!). During the night, if it is cool outside, even if we adjust the temperature at the coldest, it is not working well, even if it's really hot inside., In addition, the fan' stops whenever the compressor stops, which causes a lot of noise every time it restarts and wake up everyone. Once again, your company has the nerve to told my reseller that this is normal. We have many RVs in my family and nobody has that kind of problem. Once again, another client has the same problem with an M18.

Now, I told everyone who come to avoid EDGE products. I even think that I'll put a big sign on it that says : Pretty but rotten! Can you do something before I get there?

A customer really unfortunate.

My Dealer: Leisure Days, City of Levis, Province of Quebec, Canada

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I was happy to buy an Edge M18 «full body paint» that was supposed to be a 2011, but strangely different from latest 2011 models. Sure it was expensive but so pretty. Each time I go out, someone comes and asks me for information on this beauty. Unfortunately, this was the beginning of an infinite number of problems.

Now, I told everyone who come to avoid EDGE products. I even think that I'll put a big sign on it that says : Pretty but rotten! Can you do something before I get there?

A customer really unfortunate.

My Dealer: Leisure Days, City of Levis, Province of Quebec, Canada

While I hate to hear of your problems, is it really necessary to come to the forum with threats? This may not look good for you if you are trying to get additional help, especially if you are trying to get help from Heartland. You may want to reconsider your approach. My persoanl opinion.

Mark

Gillbiss

Yes, maybe your are right and I should not be so angry, but in fact, the problems I listed are only the worst that I had... Since the beginning of the season I have to go to the reseller to fix things that I can not fix by myself. I didn't mention that my exterior shower broke, I have to install flaps in the interior shower to avoid water to spill everywhere, I had to replace the seal around the exterior storage door after after all my stuff was soggy, 4 lights burned in the first week, (one of them have even melted the plastic cover in the kitchen' fan), they had to replace some windows when they prepared the RV because they were impossible to clean, the mattress of the bunk was teared by a piece of plastic which was not well installed under it, a missing piece in the awning's support made it very difficult to opened it..... Each and every time I use it I have new problems, I am very afraid because they only offer a one year warranty !! My reseller itself seems astonished to see as many problems on the same RV and he told me other clients have similar problems with Edge models but not all of them in the same RV fortunately !

Maybe you understand now that I may be angry ? I was supposed to go to Myrtle beach but I changed my plan because I don’t trust my RV… Not to mention that my Honda Odissey 2008 (rated at 3,500 pounds) was just not powerful enough to pull the THING and I had to change my car too (this time it is not the fault of heartland, I agree !).

I also agree with the fact that I have to use this forum is unusual for a new RV, but I will not have to do that if Heartland was more helpful to my reseller's requests. Maybe I just bought what we call a «lemon» in french. If it is the case, I ask Heartland to fix my problems it will not cost them a lot of money. If my case is not isolated, I think we should tell everybody to avoid this product until all the problems are fixed.

Sorry to bug you with my problems guys but I had to share them with someone !!!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
While I do feel for you and your problems and hope you get them resolved, I have to wonder how people handled their problems before the internet and forums????

rick_h

Sorry your have had such bad luck with yours. I have a 2009 model M18 and have only had a few minor issues. We had water inside the RV once but the rain was really hard from a weird angle (one of those sideways winds). It hasn't happened since. I do have similar issues as you mentioned with the AC unit, but thats not heartlands fault IMHO, Dometic makes the AC unit and they supply many manufacturer's other than Heartland. The AC unit they picked was for its light weight. Because of Dometics warranty Heartland wouldn't even if they wanted to, be able change the operation of the unit. Heartland is right to say the way the fan operates is normal thats the way Dometic makes them.

I agree that something should be done with the back panel. However I think you might have more success with calm but assertive persistant calls to Heartland directly. Don't take your dealers word for it, deal with Heartland directly.

You might want to email your issues with the AC unit to them. Maybe Dometic has a suggestion that your dealer could help you with.

I understand you are frustrated, I would be too, however I'd like to see you get some resolution to this and think you'll have better success going as has been said here.

Best of Luck - I hope you get some resolution to your issues.

Rick H

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I agree...contact Heartland directly...you may not be getting the whole story from the dealer...

Gillbiss

Thanks everybody, I'll try to be zen and stay calm. Even with all those problems, I still love the way it looks. However, I think I don't have to talk to Dometic myself for problems in a brand new RV, Heartland should talk with them and ask them to replace those units. Everybody I talked to, told me that they are not working well when the weather is too hot... Unfortunately, I want to use it when it's hot ! Will you call the company who build the AC, if the one in your brand new car is not working ? I know Heartland is working hard to improve continously their RV's... They have corrected most of the problems I have in latest 2011 models, Since them, they can not leave previous buyers with their problems (if they fixed them in latest models, they admitted that there are problems). Car builders made recalls when a problem is known. Water leaks can destroy an RV in no time it is really a major issue.

mikeyy53

I have a M21 that had shower panel issues. The dealer tried to fix it,only to make it worse. I contacted Heartland and they repaired it. Give Heartland a chance to right what's wrong. Remember the trailers are amde by humans and sometimes things do go wrong.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Yes, maybe your are right and I should not be so angry, but in fact, the problems I listed are only the worst that I had... Since the beginning of the season I have to go to the reseller to fix things that I can not fix by myself. I didn't mention that my exterior shower broke, I have to install flaps in the interior shower to avoid water to spill everywhere, I had to replace the seal around the exterior storage door after after all my stuff was soggy, 4 lights burned in the first week, (one of them have even melted the plastic cover in the kitchen' fan), they had to replace some windows when they prepared the RV because they were impossible to clean, the mattress of the bunk was teared by a piece of plastic which was not well installed under it, a missing piece in the awning's support made it very difficult to opened it..... Each and every time I use it I have new problems, I am very afraid because they only offer a one year warranty !! My reseller itself seems astonished to see as many problems on the same RV and he told me other clients have similar problems with Edge models but not all of them in the same RV fortunately !

Maybe you understand now that I may be angry ? I was supposed to go to Myrtle beach but I changed my plan because I don’t trust my RV… Not to mention that my Honda Odissey 2008 (rated at 3,500 pounds) was just not powerful enough to pull the THING and I had to change my car too (this time it is not the fault of heartland, I agree !).

I also agree with the fact that I have to use this forum is unusual for a new RV, but I will not have to do that if Heartland was more helpful to my reseller's requests. Maybe I just bought what we call a «lemon» in french. If it is the case, I ask Heartland to fix my problems it will not cost them a lot of money. If my case is not isolated, I think we should tell everybody to avoid this product until all the problems are fixed.

Sorry to bug you with my problems guys but I had to share them with someone !!!

Gillbiss,
While it sounds like your reseller is really trying to do you right by you I would also try contacting Heartland Customer Service directly and let them know your side of the story and help you deal with your reseller and getting your problems resolved. I am confident that Heartland will resolve your issues and do what they can to make you a happy customer. Please keep us informed of your expereiences.

Mark

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Sorry your having all the problems. I must try, nicely, to explain to you that you are comparing apples and oranges with your statement about the A/C. Yes HL buys A/C units from Dometic and lots of other parts. The rub is that HL did not design or build them. Unlike auto manufactures who design, build and install them in their own products. HL can only do what they can with their outside vendors. Try this scenario, you buy a Sony radio from Best Buy, radio takes a dive, who do you send it to...Sony or Best Buy?? Sony, Best Buy is only the go between. I do hope all your issues are resolved to your satisfaction.

Last edited:

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Sorry your having all the problems. I must try, nicely, to explain to you that you are comparing apples and oranges with your statement about the A/C. Yes HL buys A/C units from Dometic and lots of other parts. The rub is that HL did not design or build them. Unlike auto manufactures who design, build and install them in their own products. HL can only do what they can with their outside vendors. Try this scenario, you buy a Sony radio from Best Buy, radio takes a dive, who you send it to...Sony or Best Buy?? Sony, Best Buy is only the go between. I do hope all your issues are resolved to your satisfaction.

Great explantion of how the RV industry works. Good job Bob

rick_h

That is a good analogy, I was going to say some similar. The example I was going to use is when you buy a newly built house, and the AC unit goes south - who gets can solve the problem the builder or the Refrigeration company.

Bob&Patty

The company that installed the A/C. Same as the roofing, plumbing, electical, appliance, concrete, and any other sub- contractor. Just the way the world turns.

I do hope that HL steps in and takes care of his coach. We don't need an unhappy camper

bacaye

M18, We have a 2011 Big Country and have had same issues with the air conditioner. Not once, but twice so know your experience of having the water dumped from above. I have to agree with you a little. Heartland makes the decisions as to what products they use in their units. If several units are having the same problems I feel it IS Heartland's job to find out what is going on by talking to the makers of any products they use. It is as much Heartland's good name as the other companies. Actually, Heartland will be the one getting most of the grief because they make the product by putting everything together.

If I owned Heartland and several people were complaining of the same problem, it would not take many before I would be on the phone wanting the problem solved or else. Bad products do not make happy campers.. Of course this is a "females" view but I see your point so be one of those that calls to let them know what it going on. I think once you have, it is their job to contact their supplier for your air conditioner to let them know their product is not meeting the standards necessary for their units to be successful.

rick_h

I do hope that HL steps in and takes care of his coach. We don't need an unhappy camper

I hope so too - they should take care of that bubble on the back - if it didn't adhere properly I would hope they would come good for it. We pay good money for our rigs and whether a Big horn or the smallest of trailers. I would hope for the best level of service that I have heard of here in the past.

noobee

M18, We have a 2011 Big Country and have had same issues with the air conditioner. Not once, but twice so know your experience of having the water dumped from above. I have to agree with you a little. Heartland makes the decisions as to what products they use in their units. If several units are having the same problems I feel it IS Heartland's job to find out what is going on by talking to the makers of any products they use. It is as much Heartland's good name as the other companies. Actually, Heartland will be the one getting most of the grief because they make the product by putting everything together.

If I owned Heartland and several people were complaining of the same problem, it would not take many before I would be on the phone wanting the problem solved or else. Bad products do not make happy campers.. Of course this is a "females" view but I see your point so be one of those that calls to let them know what it going on. I think once you have, it is their job to contact their supplier for your air conditioner to let them know their product is not meeting the standards necessary for their units to be successful.

I agree 100% with this... especially with the history of poor tires from China & suspension systems by Lippert.
CS

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

I'm sure that HL knows whats going on. My question is...what is Dometic doing about it. What is Lippert doing about the stuff they build. Lippert buys the tires just like Ford did. Remember the Firestone bombs? Who do you think ended up paying off the Lawsuit. Was it Ford or Firestone? Everyone should quit pointing fingers and just get it fixed. BTW, HL is not the only coach builder that uses Lippert frames and installs china bombs. Instead of bashing HL...how about bashing Dometic and all the suppliers that HL uses. HL builds the fiberglass box that all this stuff is installed in. HL has its problems thats for sure, but lets put some of the blame where it belongs. The OP has some issues, so lets see what Dometic and HL does about it.

JOC

I'm new to this owners group and have been reading to "get to know" the feedback on the camper I was certain I wanted (M18 or M21) so I'm really curious of a few things;
Exactly what issues have been discovered are true design/manufacture faults?
Are they corrected with the current model?
Who ever heard of an AC being temperamental in hot climates? Isn't that why we all buy AC's to begin with? Is HL still using the model originally spec'd on the M18 (amid ALL the complaints)?
HL's customer service (which is what I'm really watching this thread for) on resolving issues.
I'm not so sure the Edge is what I should buy no matter how cool it "seems"...