Trouble with black tank

GandC

Not sure if using this forum right - new at this.
We are having problems with our black water tank

jimtoo

Hi GandC,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

When you post a question please go to the area for your unit, which I see by your profile is a 08 BigHorn 3670RL. So you really need to go to the Big Horn area and ask your question in the plumbing section for your black water tank. When you post a question give as much information as you possibly can, what is specific problem, what you have tried, any options you have added, anything that will help us with information so that we may help you.

We are here to help as much as we can and someone usually will have an answer for you.

I am moving this post to the Big Horn area, you will not need to do anything, everyone will see it and they or you if you go to the old post will be automatically redirected to the new location.

So if you will tell us what kind of problems your having... we will get you a fix.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

lwmcguir

Hi GandC,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

When you post a question please go to the area for your unit, which I see by your profile is a 08 BigHorn 3670RL. So you really need to go to the Big Horn area and ask your question in the plumbing section for your black water tank. When you post a question give as much information as you possibly can, what is specific problem, what you have tried, any options you have added, anything that will help us with information so that we may help you.

We are here to help as much as we can and someone usually will have an answer for you.

I am moving this post to the Big Horn area, you will not need to do anything, everyone will see it and they or you if you go to the old post will be automatically redirected to the new location.

So if you will tell us what kind of problems your having... we will get you a fix.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Very well stated Jim

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If you want to find a specific forum to post a thread this is how I would do it. Now there are others that may have a better way but this is just a basic way.

1. Go to the list at the top of the forum page and click on All Forums.
1 Forum list.JPG

2. Scroll down and find the topic you want. If it is mainly about a Bighorn go to the Bighorn Community
2 Brand unit.JPG

3. Look at each topic and select the threads you want to read or post a question, such as plumbing for the Black tank. If you want to read, scroll down and open the tread your interested in.
3 Brand topic.JPG

4. If you want to post a thread, then click on Post New Thread.
4 Post new thread.JPG

4. Enter the title and enter the discussion as you did on this thread.
5 start thread.JPG

5. When you are finished scroll down and click on Submit New Thread
6 Submit thread.JPG

If you just want to read threads that have been posted you might do the followning.
Go to the top and click on Active topics and click on one of the selections shown.
7 view topics.JPG

I hope this helps. Maybe some one will come up with their method of viewing the threads on the forum.
BC

jimtoo

Thanks for the info. I don't know how to get to the big horn section! Can you help?

TXbobcat explained a good way with pics... another way is the very first page is the "Portal Page" which in the center has all the pictures of the different units. Just click on the picture with the Big Horn or any of the others for their area. It will open the forum for that line.

Jim M

GandC

Thanks Jim and BC for your help. I'm getting the hang of it now!!
We bought our 3670RL Big Horn used. Previous owners just lived in it while building a house. We have had it since April of 2009 and enjoying it. There has been a few other problems but have been able to fix them. We are parked in a campground for the season and have to be out by Oct 15. I have been reading all the other forums on black tank issues etc. and we may just wait until we get home and take it in to a RV repair place.
Our problem is the black valve is slowly leaking the water out leaving the solids directly under the toilet. Effidently the black water valve is not seating properly. It looks like it is a chore to access the valve. We have been trying to get by, by flushing lots of water and one time putting a hose down the toilet drain when toilet started to BURP!! When the toilet is burping, we suspect that the solids are building up under the toilet discharge pipe. Does anybody know how close the toilet pipe is to the bottom of the black water tank? We think we need to get the valve fixed so that the black water tank will HOLD water so that it fills up to help move the solids around.
Glenn and Chris

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Thanks Jim and BC for your help. I'm getting the hang of it now!!
We bought our 3670RL Big Horn used. Previous owners just lived in it while building a house. We have had it since April of 2009 and enjoying it. There has been a few other problems but have been able to fix them. We are parked in a campground for the season and have to be out by Oct 15. I have been reading all the other forums on black tank issues etc. and we may just wait until we get home and take it in to a RV repair place.
Our problem is the black valve is slowly leaking the water out leaving the solids directly under the toilet. Effidently the black water valve is not seating properly. It looks like it is a chore to access the valve. We have been trying to get by, by flushing lots of water and one time putting a hose down the toilet drain when toilet started to BURP!! When the toilet is burping, we suspect that the solids are building up under the toilet discharge pipe. Does anybody know how close the toilet pipe is to the bottom of the black water tank? We think we need to get the valve fixed so that the black water tank will HOLD water so that it fills up to help move the solids around.
Glenn and Chris

In the interim, get a Valtrex blade valve and attached it to the end of the sewer outlet. Close both valves for the grey tanks and keep the regular black valve OPEN, with the Valtrex valve closed...this will back the water up into the black tank and keep fluids in it until you can get the regular valve repaired...hope this helps.

hoefler

You could have some stuff that has been caught or hung up in the valve area. If the former owner has lived in it, they may have sat there with all the valves open and there could be some stuff that has dried in the tank and lines. I would suggest you try back flushing the system. Use one of those caps that you hook a garden hose to, and fill the tank from the discharge end. You will need to be at a dump station that has a pretty good curb around it because you are going to make a mess. While you are flushing the system, work the valve back and forth. If possible, fill the drain line and let it soak a while to loosen any thing that might be dried and caught in the valve area. You could save a chunk of change and avoid dismantling your drain system.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Rather than a dump station, where others will immediately pull up behind you and P&M that you're taking too long, get a full service site at a CG and dump/flush as much as you need to. Back fill the tank and let it sit (with the tank valve open) for a bit to dissolve whatever might be stuck in the valve seat. You may have to repeat the backflush a few times to get it all out. Worse case, though, is that somehow the valve blade has a crack or chip.