Battery Questions

MJordan

"PA n MA s"
Hello:
Seems my battery in my BigHorn 3400rl no longer holds a charge.
This was brought to light when I tried to operate the Leveling System without being connected to electric.
I have purchased a replacement battery matching the specs of the one in there.
My question is. While I am connected to electric, is the battery being charged?
Is it being charged while I amtowing it?
If so, is there something that will keep it from being overcharged (if it is possible to overcharge)?
If not, do I need to buy a trickle charger?

God Bless
Michael Jordan

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes to all of your questions. Well, almost all. No need for a trickle charger. When you are plugged in to 120 AC, your converter is monitoring and charging your battery. When plugged into your truck, it is charging while you drive.
Be certain to watch polarity when hooking up your new battery.

Peace
Dave

2010augusta

You might not be charging while towing. Many trucks need a fuse installed in the circuit to enable the 12 volt charge to trailer.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I've switched to two group 27's and have great sucess they seem to hold up great and have a lot of reserve about 1000. I bought two group 27 die hard agm's. a little pricey but you usually get what you pay for!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Michael, how old was that battery? A normal time for battery life is 4 to 5 years under ideal conditions. Water level needs to be monitored as well to prevent damage to the cells and shortening it's lifespan. Being a 2006, I don't know what converter you have. Some converters charge at a constant rate while the newer types have a variable charge rate and only charge the battery as needed. Your converter is located under the "stool room" behind the basement wall.

wdk450

Regarding charging while towing:

If that fuse isn't there as suggested by Augusta 2010, IT NEEDS TO BE!! The primary purpose of the +12 volt supply wire in the 7pin electrical connector is to supply a small amount of charging current to the battery so that the battery supplies power to the trailer's electric brakes in case of an emergency disconnect of the trailer from the tow vehicle while on the road. If the trailer's battery is dead, the trailer's emergency braking system won't work when the emergency lanyard switch is pulled.

A quick way to check if your trailer battery is getting a charge from your tow vehicle is to put a voltmeter across your trailer battery (with the trailer unplugged). Take an initial voltage reading. Plug in your trailer to your tow vehicle, and turn on the tow vehicle engine. Take a 2nd voltage reading across the trailer battery. If the tow vehicle is charging your battery, you should get a higher reading than the first reading.

The small wire size of the charging wire and connector pin precludes the use of this circuit as a large amperage charging source for the trailer battery. If larger charging current is desired to operate appliances (refrigerator on AC with an inverter) down the road, a second, large gauge wire and connector (and large gauge ground wire) needs to be wired in all the way from the tow vehicle alternator to the trailer battery, with the appropriate circuit protection devices wired in.

MJordan

"PA n MA s"
Michael, how old was that battery? A normal time for battery life is 4 to 5 years under ideal conditions. Water level needs to be monitored as well to prevent damage to the cells and shortening it's lifespan. Being a 2006, I don't know what converter you have. Some converters charge at a constant rate while the newer types have a variable charge rate and only charge the battery as needed. Your converter is located under the "stool room" behind the basement wall.
Hello Ray:
The battery was as old as the trailer. Put in srvice in 2005 although called a 2006.
I never did any maintenance to the battery. That is add water to it.
I also left it in the trailer with switch off during winter storage months.
It was dry when I looked. I added water (distilled) but it would no longer hold a charge.
When I look at the converter how can I tell which I have? Where can I find the "newer" type of converter?
Will it be easy to replace?

MJordan

"PA n MA s"
Regarding charging while towing:

If that fuse isn't there as suggested by Augusta 2010, IT NEEDS TO BE!! The primary purpose of the +12 volt supply wire in the 7pin electrical connector is to supply a small amount of charging current to the battery so that the battery supplies power to the trailer's electric brakes in case of an emergency disconnect of the trailer from the tow vehicle while on the road. If the trailer's battery is dead, the trailer's emergency braking system won't work when the emergency lanyard switch is pulled.

A quick way to check if your trailer battery is getting a charge from your tow vehicle is to put a voltmeter across your trailer battery (with the trailer unplugged). Take an initial voltage reading. Plug in your trailer to your tow vehicle, and turn on the tow vehicle engine. Take a 2nd voltage reading across the trailer battery. If the tow vehicle is charging your battery, you should get a higher reading than the first reading.

The small wire size of the charging wire and connector pin precludes the use of this circuit as a large amperage charging source for the trailer battery. If larger charging current is desired to operate appliances (refrigerator on AC with an inverter) down the road, a second, large gauge wire and connector (and large gauge ground wire) needs to be wired in all the way from the tow vehicle alternator to the trailer battery, with the appropriate circuit protection devices wired in.

Hello Bill:
Couldn't I just look somewhere and see if the fuse is there? I don't have a voltmeter.
I know that the electric emergency brake works.
When I had the Tri-Glide hitch put on the pull cord to the lanyard was not long enough.
I made a right turn and pulled the lanyard out and the emgerncy brake came on.
They moved the box the lanyard was in closer to the front of the Tri-Glide and it’s OK now.
This happened before I found out the batterry couldn't support the Leveling System.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hello Ray:
The battery was as old as the trailer. Put in srvice in 2005 although called a 2006.
I never did any maintenance to the battery. That is add water to it.
I also left it in the trailer with switch off during winter storage months.
It was dry when I looked. I added water (distilled) but it would no longer hold a charge.
When I look at the converter how can I tell which I have? Where can I find the "newer" type of converter?
Will it be easy to replace?
Michael, Have your VIN handy and call Heartland. They should be able to tell you what converter you have. OR
Your converter will be labeled or stamped with a model number. With that info you can go online to determine how the charge circuitry operates. Come back to this thread with that info and maybe more help. If a battery runs dry and is being charged while it's dry, it will certainly have a shorter life. More diligent maintenance regarding maintaining water levels will certainly prevent premature failure. You got over 5 years of service out of a battery. You can't really expect more than that.

One more thing, during storage, it's usually best to remove the battery from the RV and bring it into a warm basement or even a garage. Make sure the battery is fully charged before storage.

porthole

Retired
Hello Bill:
When I had the Teri-Glide hitch put on the pull cord to the lanyard was not long enough.
I made a right turn and pulled the lanyard out and the emergency brake came on.

Me too ;)

If your trailer is 5 years old there is a good chance you do not have one of the "smart chargers"

Look at the brand and model number, then look on line.
The most popular model several years had available a $25 "box" that made it a smart charger.

The Smart versions allow the trailer to be plugged into 110 all the time without damage to the battery (overcharging) as well as multi stage charging.

I leave my battery in the trailer year round. Once a month I plug it in to charge the battery. On my small trailer I leave a small solar panel connected al winter.

BTW - it is an old wives tale about not leaving a battery on concrete.