US-90 out of Van Horn to San Antonio

WilmanJim

When we leave San Diego next Spring we are planning on taking US-90 out of Van Horn to San Antonio. Does anyone know if there would be any problem getting fuel along this stretch.

Jim and Wilma

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
In west Texas the fuel stops are few and far between. Unless you have a spare tank I would recommend filling up at 1/2 tank. Next station may be 100 miles.

2010augusta

I know there are fuel stops in Marathon, Del Rio, and Uvalde the only long stretch is between Marathon and Del Rio. We had no issues, we the 450 has 60 gallons of capacity from the factory, so we are good for over 500 miles.

WilmanJim

Thanks Alan, we are looking at spending a month or so in the area looking around.

Thanks Gene, I'll keep an eye out.

jmgratz

Thats right about the 80 mph speed limit. And everyone is driving 90 or 100 so if you are at 65 look out.

WilmanJim

Hmmm, Maybe I better up my life insurance of take a different route. Not in a hurry to cross this country so we travel slow. Guess I better get one of those slow moving vehiicle triangles and put flashing lights around it.:rolleyes:

jmgratz

Texas is so big that driving 60 mph it will take you 16 hours to cross it from El Paso to Orange. (including rest and fuel stops) I am 2 hours from Orange and it takes me 10 hours just to get to Fort Stockton. Whew! That is why the speed limit in West Texas is so high, plus there isn't anything out there (very sparsely populated). Seriously, when I tow, I run 65-68 mph and stay in the right lane. If you do that you will be alright. US 90 is a 2 lane road in West Texas and is in good shape but there is very little traffic on it so you should be alright.

WilmanJim

Thanks Jim,
We have been traveling through southern Texas for the past 7 years since we retired and went full timing but we were usually in a hurry to get back to Ohio as our parents were still living and the Grandkids were young. But now that our parents are gone, my mother just passed away a month ago, and the Grandkids are in school, we can take our time heading back. We always enjoyed southern Texas and catching the Natchez Trace going back to Ohio. We are looking forward to spending some time in the Big Bend area.

Jim