Slide out seal leak

TomD

:mad: During the month of Sept, my wife and I made our first cross-country trip in our Bighorn 3200RL. One day we drove thru rain the entire day to find out that our living room carpet was completely drenched and smelly. We called Heartland and were directed to Candy's Campland in Tenn. Jim, in service, did not have a seal but re-adjusted the slideout and caulked the metal slideout covering (during the phone call to Heartland I was told that "some seals were installed and some were not"). The trip continued without futher rainfall and upon returning to home I dropped off the 5th wheel at Ray's RV in West Sacramento, CA. I asked that the seal be replaced/installed and that the carpet be replaced (since the padding was completely saturated with road debris and contaminants). I feel that cleaning the carpet will not remove contaminants from the padding. Chris De La Paz from Heartland stated that they only clean the carpet. I'm willing to go half way and clean the carpet, but replace the padding. Can you please advise?
Thank you,
Tom Dinen
tdinen57@comcast.net

vangoes

D-Seal

Sorry to hear about your water problem. This aspect scares me a lot as I have not pulled mine in any serious rain yet. Did the factory indicate to you that all units should have the D-seal installed? It would seen like if the units do need the seal that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Scott

Not sure about the comments on the seals. I do know that while we build newer models, we make changes and upgrades, which includes a new product out on the market which are a rounded, corner block that fits in the slide openings at each lower corner which helps a lot on slide-outs that are over the wheels. Be sure to ask Rays about ordering some of these for your coach.

ST

salmon919

leaking slide with out seal

Scott, we are having the same problem with our 2007 Sundance 2900MK when going through heavy rain we get water that goes past the slide seal and gets the carpet wet. There is a 1.5 in gap between the outside slide rail and the inner seal. I spoke with my dealer several times about this and he stated a D seal was not available for this side. Thats funny because the factory put one on the kitchen side. Please let us know what we need to do so we can camp when it rains.

Thank You

Todd

DJBirk

salmon919 I don't understand your dealer telling you that d-seals aren't available for your trailer. We had are Bighorn serviced for the same problem. New seals were placed on the body of the trailer as well as the slide out wall and the original rubber sweep was adjusted down to take up more of the gap. D-seals come in coils and have a self stick backing that once applied to the metal surfaces of the coach create a tight bond. This applies to all makes and models of any rv manufacturer. I would get another dealer to look at your trailer and if you can get to Elkhart Ind. go to Heartland's factory service dealer. Also. you might consider purchasing the required amount of d-seal needed for the job and doing it yourself.

Fordsd250

I am also searching the web for the slide out D-seals for my 3500. If anyone knows of a place to order sure would appreciate the info.

billd

This information was posted by Scott from Heartland for help with the seals.

574.262.8030, and ask for a the service representative from your territory (West/Central/East)

Bill

sablain

More leaks

I guess I am not surprised that someone besides myself is having water problems with their Big Horn. I have a brand new 3655RD and have had leaks in one of the slides and now have found water problem in the front closet. I have owned the unit since April and am very disappointed with the quality. I guess I was spoiled by the Keystone and Holiday Ramber units I owned. Anyone who buys a Big Horn is asking for trouble in my opinion.

jbeletti

sablain,

Are you working with your dealer to correct the problems you have with your Bighorn? Please circle back here and let us all know what you and your dealer have done/are doing.

While it is true that Heartland does not build a "perfect" trailer, most are built pretty darned well. And while you will find several Bighorn owners that are disappointed with their unit, I feel you'll find many times that are very happy.

To state that "Anyone who buys a Big Horn is asking for trouble..." is, in my opinion, a pretty unfair blanket statement.

That you are unhappy is quite understandable and I hope your unit can be corrected to your satisfaction so that you may enjoy it as much as you did your last 2 other brand units.

Jim

sablain

Big Horn Problems

Jim,
I would be happy to send you an email with the list of problems I have had and their status/resolution. The unit has been back to the dealer where I bought it in Florida and has spend a month at an authorized dealer in NH. I am leaving for Florida with the unit in a few minutes hoping that nothing else goes wrong. I will not have a computer hookup until I get back to NH on the 28th.
Steve