Hooking Up to Shore Power

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Usually when I plug into shore power, I can hear a "clunk" telling me a solonoid has kicked in allowing the power into the trailer. Or at least that's the best way I know how to explain it given my very limited knowledge of mechanical stuff.

Yesterday, when I returned home from having a new bedroom slide seal installed, I went to plug my unit in and instead of the usual "clunk" I got a continous "clunk - clunk - clunk." Like the solonoid was trying to kick in but couldn't.

Has anyone experienced this before and if so what is the corrective action? Given my 5 thumbs, clutz ability when it comes to mechanical stuff is a correction something I have to do or should it go back to the dealer?

Thanks,

Keith

hoefler

It sounds like you have a transfer switch that is engaging when shore power is established. I would look at your power source to see if you have full voltage or if both legs are hot ( 50 amp only ). Also check the common and ground as well.

wdk450

I would say if something is dramatically different after a dealer service visit, go right back to the dealer and have it checked out.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Maybe I just never noticed it, but I don't recall hearing any "clunk" when connecting to shore power. Is that something to do with having a generator and transfer switch (which I don't have) on board?

klindgren

Maybe I just never noticed it, but I don't recall hearing any "clunk" when connecting to shore power. Is that something to do with having a generator and transfer switch (which I don't have) on board?

Well, I've got the generator prep, but I don't have the generator installed so I don't know if that means I have a transfer switch or not. As far as the dealer is concerned Bill, I would say no. The only thing they did was to open the bed slide, replace the seal and then close the slide. The did not hook up to or have anything to touch on the power side.

lwmcguir

If you have a circuit breaker handy, shut it off and then plug in your cord. Listen carefully and see what you hear. Maybe you were only partially making contact before you go the plug all the way into the receptacle. You should only hear the converter come on.

klindgren

If you have a circuit breaker handy, shut it off and then plug in your cord. Listen carefully and see what you hear. Maybe you were only partially making contact before you go the plug all the way into the receptacle. You should only hear the converter come on.

Thanks lwncguir. That's the first thing I thought of and tried.

Did a little more investigating after work today and the "clunking" sound is coming from behind my battery box. Called the dealer and he said it sounded like the surge protector I had installed. He asked me to bring it in tomorrow and he'll take a look at it. I like that idea. Let the professionals take care of it.

I'll let you all know what they find.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, the rest of the story. If you have a hard wired surge protector installed, there is a delay built into it. It will clunk when it energizes.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Maybe I just never heard it since I'm usually 30 feet away from the suppressor when I turn on the pedestal. And I've got that Selective Hearing disease, or so the wife says.

porthole

Retired
Depending on the surge protector - the multiple "clunks" could be that when connecting the device is seeing a problem and disconnecting.

Or - do you have "stuff" turned on inside?

If you are getting an initial voltage drop down to 103-4 volts the Progressive unit will disconnect.

You said when you "returned home". Do you have a 50 amp hook up at home? If it is a 30 amp or less and you are using a jumper inside the box or using a "dog bone" adapter you may be trying to pull too much current and your surge guard is doing it's job.

klindgren

Took my unit into the dealer yesterday for a look-see. My surge protector is fried. Good thing is, if we didn't have the surge protector, that would have been all of my appliances. Tim at RV Solutions has ordered a new one and hopefully I'll get it installed before I head out to Ohio next week. Riding the Gold Wing up there so I don't need the camper, but as soon as I return on the 25th I'm headed out....if we have the surge protector replace by then.

lwmcguir

Curious as to what caused the surge protector to fail. Had anything changed with the shore power plug that you were plugging into? We have never had one fail nor have I heard of many failing so just curious.

JohnDar

If it's a Progressive unit, it has a 3 year warranty. It can be repaired in a modular fashion without sending the entire unit, according to the manual. Contact Progressive tech support, 919-462-8280.

I'm also curious on how you can fry a surge suppressor.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
If it's a Progressive unit, it has a 3 year warranty. It can be repaired in a modular fashion without sending the entire unit, according to the manual. Contact Progressive tech support, 919-462-8280.

I'm also curious on how you can fry a surge suppressor.

The progressive EMS will "sacrifice" itself to save your coach...that's what it is designed to do. I would be curious to know what you connected to that caused the board to "fry"...ours will cut on and off when it detects a problem, or completely off, if the problem isn't intermitent, but it has never been hit with enough to fry it.

If this is at your home I would have the plug you were connected to inspected before I plugged back into it, or you will just fry the new unit....

klindgren

Curious as to what caused the surge protector to fail. Had anything changed with the shore power plug that you were plugging into? We have never had one fail nor have I heard of many failing so just curious.

That's exactly what the dealer said. He had never heard of one going bad either. The way he explained it to me, is there are to "fuses" inside the surge unit that blew when the surge hit. According to Tim, they are designed to do that and that is why they need to replace the whole unit. As kakamper said "the unit sacrificed itself to save the coach"

We looked at the power cord and the bottom prong (common) was a much darker color than the other two, indicating (according to Tim) that it got real hot. Not sure if it was an electrical storm (we did have a pretty good one go through a day or two before I took the unit in to replace the slide seal) or if it was from the previous weekend during the 105 heat wave when the campground circuit breaker tripped 3 times because of the a/c draw on their 30 amp service. If it was the campground then not sure why the fantastic fan continued to run when I plugged it in at home afterwards, (not sure if the fantastic fan runs on 12 volt, but if it does then I'll bet it was when we had the storm).

The rig is usually plugged into a 30 amp box I have on the house. You can believe, before I plugged my "fixed" rig back into the house, I will have that box checked by a certified electrician.

porthole

Retired
At least with boats it s not uncommon to see darkened or burnt prongs on 30 amp cords. We just have too much stuff running all the time. The AC and water alone on our rig draw 28 amps (compressor on).

A 30 cord running 30 amps all the time is going to get warm.

klindgren

Thanks wdk450 and porthole for the "information to put into my memory bank" I knew the small fans ran on 12 v but didn't think the fantastic fan did. That explains why the low battery beeper was going off last night on my co2 detector.

I have been thinking of upgrading my camper box on the side of the house to 50 amp. Now that I have to get an electrician out here to check out the circuit, I think I'll ask him about the possibility of upgrading. I really don't relish the thought of lugging the 50 amp cord around when I want to hook up at home, but I don't want to take a chance of frying the camper again.