Buy now or design in spring?

MnGo4

We are looking to purchase the M22. I am wondering how the forum feels about when to purchase. I know I can save money by buying in the fall but then I am stuck with whats left. If I wait until spring I could have the M22 ordered exactly the way I want it. Any thoughts appreciated. My dealer, of course, wants me to buy now. My DW wants to wait until spring and get exactly what she wants. I want to go camping without my family for just one week-end.:eek: JK

David

jimtoo

Hi MnGo4, David,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

As to buy now or later, that depends on you. Save money now and make a couple changes that would make the wife happy, or wait and spend more money in the spring. You would be stuck the rest of the camping season with out a toy if you pass it up now. I would think you could hit a compromise with the wife. :D,, You know either way,,,it's going to cost money to keep the wife happy. :D

Enjoy the forum and go camping.

Jim M

2010augusta

Why not make a custom order in the fall, We ordered a 2009 Landmark Augusta in October of 2008, and we got a "free" upgrade to a 2010 since the factory changed over the model year while ours was being built. We got a new custom 2010 for the cost of a 2009, no complaints from DW or me.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I would definitely order one to your specifications. It would be worth the wait.

Mark

MnGo4

Thanks for all the great advice. Jim, you are so right, but after running the numbers I think we wait until spring. The money I save by buying now will be negated by the money I will save by putting more money down at bonus time. Plus, we will get exactly what we want. I have to admit waiting through a fall camp season is not an ideal but we can make it. Can non owners visit a get together to browse and be jealous?

David, the dealer should be encouraging you to do what ever is in your best interest. The M22 has very few options available (at least the way we buy them here where I work) anyway. You can however, select the interior color and exterior accents you like. The real advantage to buying now is for example, if you have a trade in. As time elapses it will go down in value while the cost to dealers of any product whether groceries or RV's will continue to go up, up, up. Also, just so you know, NO dealer should try to penalize you for placing a "spec order" in terms of sale price or the cost to you. It cost us the same whether we have it on our lot or we order it special for a consumer (except the cost difference to us from one model year to another and freight cost, which is minimal). At least this is the way it should be...I think. I encourage you that if you have any questions regarding options, colors and especially time required for manufacturing to ask.

Buy it now and enjoy it at the lower cost....life is too short to wait.

+1 on this thought. Dealers are pretty eager to strike a fair price for RVs with the pop of the housing bubble and 'new normal.' Plus it feels good to buy a good product from a U.S. dealer and a U.S. manufacturer! Unless you have inside info on a 2011 redesign - go get your Edge now. If you need a good dealer and don't mind a trip to Colorado, I can put you in touch with one of the best.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
More food for thought. We, as well as most other RV owners I know, always, without fail, modify their new RV to fit their personal needs. I guess what I'm trying to say is no matter when you buy, fall or spring, you are going to make some changes. Heck, Heartland may not even make changes and you'll be ordering something very similar to the unit you could have saved a few buck on last fall. Consider the units that are available now and if there are options you really have to have that are not on the current unit. Either way, good luck with your decision and Welcome to the Heartland Forum.

APT

I say wait to order. I'm not sure pricing varies that much. People rarely beat the pricing of RVW, Lakeshore RV, and RV Capital Wholesalers and the majority of their sales are customer orders.

The mid-2011 models (started in ~ March/April 2010) got some improvements like door struts, slam latch storage doors, and some floorplans got wall mounts for a TV. 2012 builds will start in a month and a half.

skyguy

Our case may be unique, but we wound up saving $$$$'s by careful shopping! We were able to order a new 2010 to our specs in the sprint of 2009, and saved a bunch over the "discounted" prices of the 2009 rigs on the lot. At the same time, there was a design change in the bedroom that we didn't care for. Coley Brady contacted me, and was able to build our coach with the old style bedroom, which we much preferred. We got a great deal from our dealer, plus exactly what we wanted in our new 5th wheel.

Al S.

MnGo4

We have decided to wait. Hopefully, a big bonus coming in the spring. A dealer in Wisconsin had one so we drove the four hours to see it and maybe buy but he was a terrible salesman. Opened the unit for us, and walked away for a "smoke break" after an hour of waiting in the trailer we decided to go look for him. (he was working alone) Spent thirty minutes looking for him and then thought it wasn't meant to be. I emailed Heartland directly with some specific questions I was unable to ask the dealer; How much weight does the top bunk hold? Is there a way to lose the back closet and extend the bathroom? No reply. I have a local dealer near me that is great but they don't carry the edge but are willing to order whenever I am ready. We will wait and order through them but I am a little disappointed I haven't heard back from Heartland.