Dealer's Responsibility Question

I just purchased a new North Trails 22 FDS from a dealer about 1 1/2 hours from my home. I realized, after purchasing, that there is a dealer only 15 miles away. (I knew there was an RV Dealership there, but didn't realize they carried Heartland Brand.) I just stopped in to check out some cleaning supplies and other stuff. In the process one of the "associates" asked if needed anything. I was excited to tell him about our new purchase and asked if I needed any repairs or work done in the future if I could bring it to their shop. He told me flat out - "No way!" If didn't buy it from them they wouldn't touch it. I would have to take it to the dealership that I purchased it from. This was at R & S RV Sales and "Service" in Mahomet IL! His attitude turned nasty as soon as I told him I had purchased an RV at another dealer! It was so bad I didn't even bother looking at their supplies. I'll buy them online instead of spending my money there!

Has anyone else run into this? Is the repair and service side completely at the discretion of the dealer? It makes me wonder if I wanted to spend my own money their on add on's or repair if they would even do it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The RV industry is not like the auto industry. Many dealers will not work on a unit they did not sell, or they will at least put it in line behind their own customers. Keep in mind Heartland will (in most cases) authorize an independent repair shop to do a warranty repair as long as it was pre-authorized. If you have any questions don't hesitate to call Heartland Customer Service. There number is on the left column of the Forum and inside your rig. The good news is most RV repair shops will work on your rig when you are out of warranty and paying for it out of your pocket.