Hydralics for slides

We've traveled full-time in our BIghorn for three+ years. I think the hydralic fluid needs to be boosted. Right now, the slides are out, and a pencil line put on the reservoir by the dealer shows the fluid is low. But.... if I put the slides in, maybe it is OK. Also, our handbook on the rig says to use automatic transmission fluid. Is that right?
Do I need a refille? How does one know...?

lhetsler

The fluid should be 1/2 inch from the top with the slides in. I believe it is transmission fluid, but check your manual. I filled mine a year and a half ago.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Use ATF. We use the Ford ATF synthetic. 1/2 inch from the top with the slides in is correct. BTW if you fill it up and then it gets low you probably have a leak somewhere. It is a sealed system.

hoefler

It is normal for you to loose some fluid in the system over time. Is nearly impossible to get all the air out of the system when it is first filled. You will also loose some fluid from the rams as the rod slides in and out. The seals allow a very small amount of oil to slip by to lubricate the seals. The lines will swell with usage too, allowing them to hold more oil. It all adds up, if you are not getting a wet spot or a puddle under your rig, chock it up to the operation of the system.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It is normal for you to loose some fluid in the system over time. Is nearly impossible to get all the air out of the system when it is first filled. You will also loose some fluid from the rams as the rod slides in and out. The seals allow a very small amount of oil to slip by to lubricate the seals. The lines will swell with usage too, allowing them to hold more oil. It all adds up, if you are not getting a wet spot or a puddle under your rig, chock it up to the operation of the system.

That is good to know info.