MOR/Ryde Suspension Question

scotty

I have an 06 BH 3400 RL. I'm going to change out the springs and want to go to wet bolts at the same time. When googleing the MOR /Ryde site they list part numbers for several systems. Do I have the LRE12-001? For that matter are all wet bolt kits the same? :confused: Since I purchased the unit used I don't have any paper work on it, but I know it's not the IS system.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Not sure but give Gary Wheeler a call at Mor-Ryde and he can tell you. Also they should be able to tell you at Heartland Customer Service if you give them your vin.

lwmcguir

All the light weight 1 3/4 springs are the same as far as dimensions. The bolts are all 9/16 at least on every camper we ever had and every light weight trailer. You can buy the bolts in different lengths in case you have to reinforce a hanger by adding on another piece of iron. Wet bolts are the only way to go if you are traveling very many miles. You can check the Lippert cataloger, Dexter and so on and you will find them all to be exactly alike. Different lengths of shackles and so on of course.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I have an 06 BH 3400 RL. I'm going to change out the springs and want to go to wet bolts at the same time. When googleing the MOR /Ryde site they list part numbers for several systems. Do I have the LRE12-001? For that matter are all wet bolt kits the same? :confused: Since I purchased the unit used I don't have any paper work on it, but I know it's not the IS system.

Scotty
When I installed the wet bolts on the MOR/ride equipped unit like yours, I must tell you that there is machining work that needs to be completed on the MOR/Ryde part. The issue is the center section where the shackle connects to is not solid. So the wet bolt will not have a solid surface to support the weight. I bored and reamed the original hole and welded a machined spool piece that I machined so I could insert the bronze bushing into. A lot of work, but the finished product is a very smooth operating suspension. Good Luck.

lwmcguir

Diesel Engineer is on to my pet peeve with the light weight suspension. Sounds like a great upgrade. My comments are based on the generic springs which are all the same width and eye, just different lengths and different equalizers. Overall they are very light weight and what he is doing is a great upgrade.

scotty

:angel: Thanks guys for the inputs. I have also E-mailed MOR/Ryde with same question concerning suspension. However, will call Gary today and Heartland customer service. I plan to do this in the camp ground where I'm currently living. I have plenty of hand tools, 20 ton jack, jack stands, lumber for stands and added support for safety. Plan on jacking one side at a time, just high enough to take weight off wheels, then changing out each spring set individually. Don't have a welder or capability of machining anything, so may have to hold off on wet bolts for now, :( but will still change out springs.

scotty

BTW if Gary at Mor-Ryde is unavailable ask for Ben in service.

:angel::angel: Just got off phone with Gary and have to say I'm very pleased. Great service, he helped me find a distributor in PA close by that has kit in stock. Saved me shipping cost.

scotty

:) Well after talking to Gary, he called me back just to double check what suspension my BH has (didn't want to send the wrong parts :cool:). I went and looked, took some measurements and turns out that I have the older RE type. My unit was built in Dec 05. So I ended up ordering the correct kit from Gary and he shipped it out today. Again, kudos to Gary and MOR/Ryde and thanks to you guys on this forum. Ya'll the best. By the way Jim L, Gary says you're a great guy.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Scotty, dont jack up the coach on one side unless its hooked to your TV. It puts tooo much weight on the landing gear on one side.

DCCC

Forgive my ignorance, I'm new. Why are you changing springs, and what are "wet bolts"? We have an 07 3055RL.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Wet bolts are greasable shackle bolts for the springs. As far as the springs, they seem to lose tension over time and become flat. You should check them for any broken leaves. You should also check the "U" bolt nuts for the proper torque ...65 Ib pounds and use a torque wrench to do this.

scotty

Agree Bob, my plan is to hook up to the truck and raise the front gear clear. I have a couple of additional questions:

I have 4 new 3300LB spring sets, new 9/16 U bolts,plates and nuts, and have already removed the stock nylon busings from the new springs. I'm just waiting now on the wet bolt kit from mor/ryde, should get it this week. My questions are one, what do I torque the 9/16 U bolts to and second, whats the trick to installing the bronze bushings. I don't have direct access to a press (guess I could go to a machine shop), but it seems that I read someplace about putting the bronze bushing in the freezer over night and they would slip right in. After sitting and warming up they would be snug. Any ideas?

scotty

Forgive my ignorance, I'm new. Why are you changing springs, and what are "wet bolts"? We have an 07 3055RL.

If you're referring to me and why I'm changing it's because I load heavy (living in it) and don't want to have an on the road issue. My stock springs are flat now so why wait. Besides, I'm somewhat pro anal on maintenance anyway. In fact I weighted the combo yesterday coming home from 10 days vacation. The combo weighted 21,160, the BH has 11,140 on the axles and 2720 on the tongue for a GTW of 13,860. The truck weights 7900 unhooked. Coupled up I have 6060Lbs on the truck rear axle. I'm upgrading the springs to 3300 lb and replacing the 1/2 U bolts with 9/16 U bolts. I know this does not legally change any weight ratings, but it does increase my confidence level. As for the the big Dodge doesn't care, sits level with 15PSI in both bags, stops as well as it did my 32 ft SOB.

lwmcguir

Agree Bob, my plan is to hook up to the truck and raise the front gear clear. I have a couple of additional questions:

I have 4 new 3300LB spring sets, new 9/16 U bolts,plates and nuts, and have already removed the stock nylon busings from the new springs. I'm just waiting now on the wet bolt kit from mor/ryde, should get it this week. My questions are one, what do I torque the 9/16 U bolts to and second, whats the trick to installing the bronze bushings. I don't have direct access to a press (guess I could go to a machine shop), but it seems that I read someplace about putting the bronze bushing in the freezer over night and they would slip right in. After sitting and warming up they would be snug. Any ideas?

You can chill them and gain a little bit. Use a dead blow hammer and a bolt through the bushing to help you get it perfectly straight with the spring end. Tap it lightly and it should go right in. 90 foot pounds is the correct torque setting for 9/16 U bolts.