Chairs with storage in seats...

yvonebone

Anyone has a solution on latches that can be installed on the chairs with storage in the seats? My three year old was kneeling on the chair so she could color in a book, the seat lifted and she caught her fingers, had I not been right close she would have some fingers cut off.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
go to Home Depot and look at the cabinet latches. There is an assortment from magnetic to pressure, to spring loaded. I am sure they would have something that might work. Sorry to hear of the accident but sometimes that will cure it. Like putting you hand on a hot stove. You won't do that again.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looking at my chairs, it's hard to understand how her fingers got caught (not saying it didn't happen, though). At any rate, velcro probably won't work since the only place to attach it is at the front of the storage compartment and under the seat. That requires sticking it to fabric under the seat, which won't hold for long.

It might be possible to install two slide bolts under the rear of the seat and drill holes partially into the sides of the chair frame for the bolts to catch in. Stay away from the joints in the wood, though. The photo is for example, although it's not quite what I have in mind (can't locate a picture of it). You can probably find cheaper and sturdier ones at a hardware store.

View attachment 9730

jmgratz

I had in mind these type of latches

Attachments

• latch.jpg
    latch.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 74
  • latch 2.jpg
    latch 2.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 74

JohnDar

I had in mind these type of latches

My concern with those, Jim, is that they would be mounted at the front of the seat, but the load forcing the seat to flip is at the rear. Depending on the weight of the child and how the load is applied, they might not hold.

WilmanJim

Our 2 year old Granddaughter did the same thing only she got her foot caught in the back. I put the straps that held the chairs down when traveling around the seat to hold it down. Don't use the straps when traveling anyway.
Jim

JohnDar

Our 2 year old Granddaughter did the same thing only she got her foot caught in the back. I put the straps that held the chairs down when traveling around the seat to hold it down. Don't use the straps when traveling anyway.
Jim

Now that you mention it, a cinch strap would be the simplest method to secure the seat. The OP could easily make them to size from some 1" webbing and adjustable snap clasps available at a place like JoAnn Fabrics or Hobby Lobby. Secure them snugly so the child can't easily pull them off, and when she's older, they can be used for bundling beach towels, etc.

Or, as you say, just use the ones that hold the chairs in place.

jmgratz

another idea would be to flip the hinges and make it open from the front instead of the back.

boatdoc

Why not do what my father said to me many, many times, Don't do that or you'll be hurting. I hurt a lot in my younger days but I can't ever remember hurting for the same reason.