What does Heartland consider normal recreational use?

MrBill

The manual states that my trailer is not intended for permanent housing or full time use but for recreational use. That is pretty vague language. How many days of use per year is considered recreational? As for the frame and suspension, how many miles a year are considered normal use? What does Heartland consider the normal life of my camper to be? I understand there is maintenance that needs to be done but rather than the manual saying to inspect the suspension every 6 months I would like to know how many miles I can go between inspections.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
MrBill. You are right. That is a pretty vague statement. There are many of us that full time in our Heartland rigs and many more that full time in other brands that have the same statement in their manual.
As for inspections and maintenance, I visually inspect the suspension and tires prior to every move. I pack my bearings and clean the brake hardware annually. Knowing that I'm the one doing the work gives me the comfort that allows me to do it yearly.
I adjust my brakes as needed when I can tell the rig isn't stopping quite the way I'm used to it feeling. All caulked seams on the walls and roof should be inspected and repaired as needed every time you wash the rig and/or clean the roof.
The normal life of your camper and any one else's for that matter depends on the care you give it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Yes to what Ray said. It's really no different than a house. You have to walk around the coach...kick it...sniff it and generally inspect everything. Things will shake loose and move. Caulking will dry up. The best statement I have heard is that your coach is nothing but a rolling earthquake.

RollingHome

MrBill, I really do think you know what it means... If you think your unit will operate forever without any interdiction from you you're wrong... On the other hand if you use common sense and tend to things as they occur you're good to go. HL put that disclaimer in so the person who think they can plunk down 20 grand or so and sail off into the sunset and fulltime camp and never touch their units and come back at HL when the toilet backs up... better think again. There was one such person on this forum a while back who used his RV in a commercial venture EVERY WEEKEND ! He replaced the refer 7 times and then this person thought HL was on the hook to keep his comercially used unit in repair ! I know what you're thinkin, who would do such a thing... Trust me their out there. RH

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBill

You're not getting my point, I understand I need to keep up with maintenance. But I'm reading posts of guys making changes to their suspension and wonder why that should be needed. Is it because they are full-timers and put that many miles on their coaches? I use my RV about 180 days a year and pull it about ten to twelve thousand miles. I'm just looking for information as to how my use compares with others how long before I will be looking at replacing some components.

Mike Aplin

You will need to contact our customer service at 877-262-8032 for their definition of "normal wear and tear" to the coach. Take care, Mike