Hitch/Receiver install rear 3055 for bikes

DCCC

Any ideas on how to install a receiver at the rear of a 3055RL? My former 5er had a bumper and mount but this does not. I don't want to use a ladder rack, I'm afraid the bikes weight and bouncing will damage the coach in time. We have 2 classic Schwinns we love but they are heavy compared to modern bikes. Thanks!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
DCCC, be aware that installing a receiver on the frame will void your frame warranty per Lippert. There are many posts about how to go about this if you do a search.

KL7j

Any ideas on how to install a receiver at the rear of a 3055RL? My former 5er had a bumper and mount but this does not. I don't want to use a ladder rack, I'm afraid the bikes weight and bouncing will damage the coach in time. We have 2 classic Schwinns we love but they are heavy compared to modern bikes. Thanks!

I ordered a 3055 Bighorn last month. In the process, while a hitch or 12 volt outlets do not show in the brochure, the factory would put on the hitch during assembly for an modest option fee that also included the 12V outlets again.

So, it appears no issues with warranty with a hitch for a bike rack.

PSF513

As long as it is a factory installed hitch or 1 that only has a 1 1/8" receiver, the factory told me it would not be a problem on BigHorn or Landmark

DRGalligher

Our 2011 3055RL came with rear hitch brackets. DH contacted Heartland and ordered the receiver from them to mount a bike rack. When we received the receiver from Heartland it was short and installing a bike rack would rub against the back of the 5vr so DH ordered an extension. All is within the warranty.

Dale Smith

Prior to Picking up Our 2011 3055 Bighorn from the dealer, I had him install a receiver hitch that bolts directly to the frame on both sides. I was assured that there will be no issue with any warranties for applying this hitch to carry bicycles.

I have a three wheeled recumbent tricycle that rides in the special carrier behind the trailer attached to this receiver. In our first year of use it seemed that the bike was doing a lot of bouncing up and down in this set up.

This summer I removed the receiver assembly from the trailer and took it to a local weld shop along with my bike rack assembly and had a second receiver point added as far outboard as the bike rack would allow. This seems to have stiffened up the whole assembly and I'm looking forward to the bike riding much smoother on the next trip out.

That will be in approximately one week so I will post on how it worked!

Hope this helps.

Dale

Westwind

Very smart! I've always felt that if I did that I would try to put a double receiver to see if I could cut down on movement when traveling.
There is a post showing complete fabrication of a frame and receiver for mounting under a Heartland, Bighorn,
and Big Country or Elk Ridge. I'd recommend doing a search to find the pictures.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree with Jay. My understanding is, some of the older units had the existing mounts for a hitch type bike rack. If you had one of those, a 1 1/8" receiver was acceptable.
If you weld or bolt to the frame of any other chassis, your frame warranty would be voided.

Westwind

Folks we are all over the place on this one, I have seen more than one post saying the factory had a frame set up to install a receiver for bike racks but stopped because there wasn't enough demand. Another post saying that the frame warranty wouldn't be void if one was installed. Then others, more than one who said Lippert said that a receiver that could only hold bike racks would not void the frame warranty.

I Wonder if Heartland could settle this one for everyone once and for all!

danemayer

I'd like something definitive from Heartland also. I talked to parts and sales today and no one could provide any info on the rumored bike rack for Landmarks. They told me to call Lippert. Lippert has one, but said installing it would void their frame warranty because they'd have no way to know if I were using it appropriately. Then they said that using it to carry bikes wouldn't damage the frame. They couldn't explain much about the offering and the clincher was they wanted almost $700.

Guidance on a reasonably priced bicycle rack that won't damage the frame would be a good place to start. Maybe point to a 3rd party solution other than Lippert. Maybe negotiate with Lippert on what is ok to hang on the frame and what is not ok.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'd like something definitive from Heartland also. I talked to parts and sales today and no one could provide any info on the rumored bike rack for Landmarks. They told me to call Lippert. Lippert has one, but said installing it would void their frame warranty because they'd have no way to know if I were using it appropriately. Then they said that using it to carry bikes wouldn't damage the frame. They couldn't explain much about the offering and the clincher was they wanted almost $700.

Guidance on a reasonably priced bicycle rack that won't damage the frame would be a good place to start. Maybe point to a 3rd party solution other than Lippert. Maybe negotiate with Lippert on what is ok to hang on the frame and what is not ok.

I saw a guy with a SOB in Death Valley,California, from Canada. Which means he had traveled quite a distance. He had a 1 1/8" receiver, on a fiver with two very large quads on a trailer behind it. Had to have weighed at least 1200 lbs.
You see where I am going with this.
Had something happend to the frame, etc. , I'm sure he would have said he only had a bike rack on it. The mfgr has no control over the useage. IMHO, this is why they got rid of them.
His receiver was undoubtedly designed only for a bike rack