Larger tires

Ihave a 2006 chevy crew cab 4x4 diesel short bed .My wife just bought us a 2008 bigcountry 3250ts dry weight 10800 gvw14000.Truck has 285-16 tires 8ply will this be ok?.Inthe fall iwant to get 285-16 tires in 10 ply.Stock tires were 245-16 i dont like the small tires any help would be appreciated.Had a superglide 16k installed today.We are new to fithwheels.

jimtoo

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I also went to the 285-16E tires and have not regretted it. I am sure you will get some more opinions also.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Netem

Jim, I think he's talking about his truck tires. I was told not to run less than 10 ply on a truck with a diesel engine because of weight and you will be adding alot of pin weight with the trailer. You will also see the trucks optimum pulling power will be at a higher speed with 285s.

jimtoo

Lets me start over,,,and get the numbers straight. :D Stock tires on 04, GMC 1 ton dually,,,215-85R-16D (8ply rating), I replaced with 235-85R-16E (10 ply rating) 3042# load capacity. Also run same on my 3055 RL Big Horn. Cannot use larger tire on truck with stock rims because the tires would rub together in dually app on rear.

Neil, you are right about the 10 ply on the truck with single rear wheels and he can use larger tires than my dually. Just hope he can get it level for towing with the larger tires.

Jim M