Propane Leak on 2010 3950

Noticed an odd smell in hauler after first haul home and during storage. Took for trip, used Dometic fridge on propane while on road. Once at campground I smelled propane very strong while sitting a few feet away at picnic table with basement door open. Walked around hitch end and was extremely strong. Cut both tanks off, smell went away outside as well as inside....

jimtoo

Hi Tracy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Needless to say, keep your tanks off till you can have someone check for the leak. No need to take a chance on fire.

Let us know what you find.

Jim M

dglatta

We had the same thing happen on our 2011 Landmark Augusta. The dealer replaced the propane tank switchover valve and the problem was gone.

wdk450

You can get gas leak bubble juice at most hardware stores to help you find a leak. The pros also have electronic sniffer devices to localize a leak source.

lwmcguir

If you are in the boondocks a mixture of Dawn and water (1:10) will work well. We have found a couple of leaks around pipe nipples that way. Any good dish soap that suds a lot will work. Dawn has a little more surfactant than many so it modifies the surface tension of the water and you get more/larger bubbles.

wdk450

If you are in the boondocks a mixture of Dawn and water (1:10) will work well. We have found a couple of leaks around pipe nipples that way. Any good dish soap that suds a lot will work. Dawn has a little more surfactant than many so it modifies the surface tension of the water and you get more/larger bubbles.

Well, Dawn is handy for just about everything, just like Windex (See: My Big Fat Greek Wedding movie). I have heard that standard detergents are somewhat corrosive to metal pipes, that is why the higher-priced commercial bubble solution is sold. Otherwise, just flush the tested areas with fresh water after bubble testing.

crazybanshee

Chances are the small regulator on the offdoor tank is leaking. Cheap product and RV store say they replace many of them. About $20.
Doug