can't leave well enough alone

sdrubrecht

My wife and I have been enjoying our 3010 (2010). We made a few mods to better suit us.
First, for better light and to cut way down on our battery draw, we replaced most of the light bulbs with LED's. We put in 2 L16 6 volt batteries. We can go several days, using our inverter for microwave and dvd viewing without having to run the generator.
Still not happy, we added 225 watts of solar panels. Camped for 10 days in last winter, using heater, microwave, and TV, no generator.
We are both short and got tired of using a stepstool to reach upper cabinets, so we removed the center shelf and built these pull-out cabinet shelves(see pic.) We can reach everything without stepstool. Took the space behind and under the sink and did the same thing for our pot storage.(more pics)
Finally, worrying about doing a header down the stairs, we built and installed this handrail. (last pic)

Attachments

• clone stuff 1 020e.jpg
    clone stuff 1 020e.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 303
  • clone stuff 1 003e.jpg
    clone stuff 1 003e.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 295
  • clone stuff 1 019e.jpg
    clone stuff 1 019e.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 295
  • clone stuff 1 016e.jpg
    clone stuff 1 016e.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 295

Northern Virginia
Nice mods. The handrail looks especially nice.

I installed a DC ammeter and was surprised how many amps the florescent lights in the Landmark draw (1.5 amp each). While it is less than the incandescents, the LED's I installed are very amp stingy. My rig will run 2 amps with no lights on (just the propane detector, fridge and any other DC phantom loads) It still amazes me how fast 2 batteries draw down.

You are doing much better than me with your power while using the inverter. I need to run the generator once a day to top off the charge. But we also like having full power in the evening so no one in our camp really minds (it is also very quiet)

John

wdk450

That handrail shows a lot of woodworking skill with those compound curves. Congratulations!!

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
WOW I love your mods!!! I see more winter projects for Duane. Your handrail is beautiful and the changes to the cabinets would make male or female happy. Nice job!