Bighorn 3410RE VS 3185RL

Moose

Hello;

We are about ready to take the plunge and step up from our 30' TT to our first 5er.

We are looking at either the Bighorn 3410RE or the 3185RL.

Our tow vehicle is a 2008 RAM 3500 MegaCab 4x4 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel SRW with Firestone air bags on all 4 corners.

Would really appreciate any comments or suggestions based on your experiences with either one of the above.

FWIW I looked at the 3610RE but I am a bit afraid of the size and weight of it with my truck.

Thanks a bunch.

Geonkat

Hi Moose,
Welcome to the forum. I had hoped someone with more experience would jump in and give you some feedback. We just took delivery of our 3410 a few weeks ago and this weekend will be our first trip. We also upgraded from a 30' TT. You already know the Cummins will pull most anything, but like me, the SRW is limiting. Our truck (see sig) is a 4x2 crew cab. On the 20+ mile trip home from the dealer, the Bighorn towed well. I have not had a chance to weigh the rig, but I hope everything will be within limits. Our truck with the automatic and 4.10 axle is rated for 24,000 # GCWR, so we should be good there. If the pin weight doesn't get too high, hopefully our GVWR will be OK. I agree the 3610RE would probably need a duallie. Based on what I have seen so far, your truck should be good for either unit you mentioned. I can provide a little more insight after this weekend. We really love the 3410 floorplan. Great access to the kitchen, fridge, pantry, etc with the slides closed. Glad to see you have found the Bighorn and wish you the best in whatever you decide.

Happy Camping,
George

Moose

Thanks very much George for, the welcome to the forum and, your advice.

I am leaning towards the 3410RE for the reasons you mentioned. However, we do like the "Ell" kitchen counter in the 3185RL.

We will be heading south of the border after Labour Day in hopes of buying our Bighorn.

BTW, I really like the new 2010 RAM trucks. Quite an improvement to inside of them.

Thanks again.

Ken

PSF513

MOOSE: As you can see from my signature, I have a BH 3610 RE. We pull it with a 2WD 2008 F250 Diesel with no problen. I have airbags in the back that really help smooth out the ride. The 2 interior things that sold us on the 3610 were the "Ell" island and the openness of the entire layout (not to mention the AUTOLEVEL). We travelled from VA to Nashville over the NC mountains and back with no difficulty at all.

You need to be comfortable with what you tow. If you are happy, that is all that matters.

Safe Travels.

Hi:

We purchased our 2009 3410RE last January and have finally had a chance to take it out for a three week trip. We pull it with a Ford F-350 (2005) with V-10 SRW and have found no problem pulling it. We were in the Catskills of New York about a week ago and the hills were unbelievable but had no problems. The layout of the 3410RE is what attracted me. I love the kitchen area and the wide open floor plan. I did a lot of homework on the computer before we even looked at it and the 3410RE was exactly what I wanted. Heartland makes a great fifth wheel as far as quality for the price you can't beat it. I know that you will be happy with the 3410RE. My husband also loves this fifth wheel and this is our first after owning many travel trailers. We highly recommend the Bighorn 3410RE.

smschoofs

We were tossing around purchasing either the 3185RL or the 3410RE and chose the 3410RE for a few reasons. I loved the l-shaped counter in the 3185RL and the spacious entry but...... very little ouside storage! Big difference. The TV is smaller too and the computer desk not as comfortable. Hitch weight is much higher although the unloaded vehicle weight is 500 lbs. less (bigger slide due to kitchen and closet slides; therefore higher hitch weight) Also, less (small) windows on the driver's side so if you like to look at the bush side of the camp site, not much to view through. I still like the counter and entry of the 3185 vs. 3410 better, but wouldn't give up our spacious storage, 40" TV or King bed! We love it! Pulling it with the truck of the year, Dodge Ram Laramee 2500 Deisel. Good luck with your choice!

sandy & derric, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Moose

Well we are now new owners of a 2011 3410RE! We pick it up on September 23rd.

Thanks everyone for your kind advice.

Hope to meet and see some of you in the near future.

All the best.

Ken

jimtoo

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Family. I hope you enjoy your new unit as much as we enjoy ours. Check out the Portal Page and find a rally in your area and go and meet a lot of good people. Also think about joining the Heartland Owners Club also.

Jim M

Moose

Thanks Jim for the great pointers and the welcome. I appreciate it very much.

Now I guess it's time for me to update my sig!

Ken