Garmin 465t Making a route..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
On my 465t I normally setup a route and waypoints using the MapSourse that comes with the GPS. I have been having a hard time making up routes. I would make a starting waypoint to a ending waypoiont and check the route that was produced. If the route was not one I wanted I would make a waypoint at some point that I wanted the route to go and insert the waypoint in the route. This is normally called a Via waypoint. If that was the only change I need to make I would upload it to my 465t.

Now as you go down the road your waypoint is a destination and it will give you the mileage to the via waypoint. I really don't want to know about that waypoint. It is only being used to maintain the route I want to travel.

Well I think I have found the way to change that. I always wanted what I called an invisible waypoint. I have the routes on my software to avoid Toll Roads. On the menu bar there is an arrow called the selection tool. If you take the selection tool and click on the colored route a black routing line will appear. Drag it to the road or place you want your route to go and click. This will change the route and will not add a waypoint. Or to say a waypoint is not added to the list. I don't know yet, but if the place holding the route to the new location will be announced when traveling the route. It also makes it easy to change the route to one I wish to travel.

Once the route is completed you can upload the route and waypoints to the 465t. When the route is uploaded you have to go into My data and import the route. The waypoints will upload and do not have to be imported.

I will add more later as time goes by.
map route.JPG

map route mod.JPG

More information later.

Hope this helps someone.

BC

Hi Bob:

Mike and Edie from the Verona, NY rally. I have this same GPS so I will try your suggestion. Thanks and God Bless!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hi guys
Well the method of modifying the route works but it still places a waypoint in the route that the system announces all the time. However the waypoints are not listed in the waypoint list. I wish the people that develop these systems used them. You really can't develop a system like this and not learn what is needed to use the system. I have been asking them over and over to develop invisible waypoints so we can modify a default route and not have to put up with it telling you where the next waypoint is when I really don't want to know.

I was going through a small town using the Semi Truck mode and it told me to make a right turn in a small town on a two lane main street that had a steel railroad rail stuck in the ground near the intersection curb. There is no way I could have made the turn. I looked down the road ahead of me and there was the higway sign that I was driving on.

I also don't like it when I am on a highway, such as US-5, and when I have to turn it says turn on Elm street (which is hwy 5). Or it changes to highway 12 which is the same road, I am suppose to be on hwy 5 for 100 miles.

No common sense.

FWIW
BC

Wharton

I have found that I take my GPS with a big grain of salt. I always have a paper map with the route on it also(from another program). WE don't have the waypoint problem you mention but we have an ancient StreetPilot 2720 and we have it set up to countdown mileage to our destination. It totally ignores the waypoints.