3G access -- proving it works

branson4020

Icantre Member
I'd really like to dump my satellite internet service and just use a Verizon data plan, but I'm not sure it will work at my house. If my buddy's blackberry can retrieve email at my location, or my kids' Verizon smart-phone can connect to the internet, is that sufficient proof that I'll be able to use a USB modem and dump the satellite?

dewwood

That should indicate that you will be able to use your air card without problem. I switched from sat to a Verizon a couple of years ago and it has been great. Verizon does have a 30 day guarantee so you can take it a try it to see if it works then if it does not you can return it.

ky-newbie

Bob,

Here's my experience, using 3G devices at home. I had an ATT HTC Tilt phone, and got the "tethering" option to use for my Internet connection. (I wanted to see how it would work.) For the most part, it worked fine. However, I had to find just the right spot to lay the phone to get a 3G signal. I was getting around 900kb download speeds with the 3G connection - sweet! If the connection dropped to "E", it was like a dial-up connection (25kb - zzzzzzzz). I switched to a free iPhone (a friend upgraded to the 4, and gave me his old 3G). With it, I could only get a 3G connection around 30% of the time. Placing the iPhone in the same sweet spot as the HTC didn't matter. I switched back to a high-speed connection, since it was the same price as the tethering option.

I would expect the USB modem to work basically the same - having "sweet spots" for the laptop. During my testing, I was able to get my email anywhere in the house, no problems at all. I'm not sure, but I'd say you could signup for the Verizon data plan, try it, and then cancel within 30 days if it's not usable.

My 2 cents. ;o)

Gaffer

I was recently camping with my jeep club along HY 6 about 12 miles or so east of Tillamook. The Verizon coverage map indicated that coverage was not available at that location but was available not far away. My experience was that I could connect without any issues with my USB modem and stay online as long as I wanted but connections on my Verizon cell phone were very iffy. I think you will be okay.

I just checked the Verizon coverage map and if you are off Timmerman Rd as indicatd by "My Location" it looks like you are good to go.

APT

If the antenna indicator says 1EX or 3G, you are good. If it says 1X, then you probably only have voice coverage.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I'd really like to dump my satellite internet service and just use a Verizon data plan, but I'm not sure it will work at my house. If my buddy's blackberry can retrieve email at my location, or my kids' Verizon smart-phone can connect to the internet, is that sufficient proof that I'll be able to use a USB modem and dump the satellite?

You can try the 3G service for 30 days and if it doesn't work for you then you can return the modem and get out of your contract without penalty. I did this with Sprint, Verizon and AT&T and Sprint ended up being the winner for us.

porthole

Retired
I was just in Fayetteville West Virginia for 4 days.

Verizon air card (PC type), unlimited use on the laptop - worked great and Internet access was pretty good considering the location we were in.

Verizon Droid with unlimited 3G plan. What 3G? I had NO Internet access for the weekend, very limited email, texting worked as long as there were no attachments. Google maps - NG - weather apps NG.

Glad I didn't cancel the air card yet. I have a mobile tethering app on the phone but so far that works marginally at best.

The newest software for the Droid includes built in tethering, but if you are not in a 3G area you have no connection.

PUG

Pug
I am currently in a remote location about 8 miles SE of Stanley Idaho. Between my cabin here and the one cell antenna in the Valley for 50 miles is two small mountains and lots of trees. My service is Verizon which you will find has better rural coverage than the others. I could not receive any signal from the cell site so I bought a small magnetic antenna and amplifier from alternativewireless .com as follows:

Wilson DualBand SignalBoost Universal

$169.95
Buy Now
View Details

Wilson SignalBoost Universal Amplifier. Wilson SIGNALBOOST Cellular/PCS Amplifier improves signals on both Cellular (824-894 MHz) and PCS (1850-1990 MHz) bands and works with Verizon, US Cellular, Cellular One, Alltel, Bell Canada, Telus, Cingular, Sprint, T-Mobile and all other Cellular and PCS carriers. No device specific adapter required.
Learn More

I set the antenna outside, run the cable in to my amplifier, run the cable from the amplifier to my verizon phone. My phone Palm Pre Plus has a mobile hotspot (wifi) that then connects wirelessly to my laptop that I am typing on right now. I went from no signal to 2 to 4 bars. I also use this in my sailboat, my fifth wheel and just traveling down the road. Works for me.

todalake

I dropped my land line and thus my high speed internet. I went with US Cellular(also cell phone provider) 3G and haven't had any problems at home, cabin or campground.