winter storage question

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
Do most of you store your 5ers inside or outside in the winter? Indoor storage is very limited here for a trailer the size of ours. If outside do you use a cover? If inside do you use a cover? The trailer spent the winter outside at the dealer last year. What else besides winterizing it do you do ? Do you remove the batteries, propane tanks etc....?

Thanks

Rick

beardedone

Beardedone
After winterizing, ( don't forget the black water flush - blow out with air at least), you should park the tires on boards to help prevent deterioration if left on ground where they are susceptible to the freeze - thaw cycle. Put some mouse traps in it just in case, depending on your parking area. Make sure you remove all foodstuffs from the unit also. Disconnect and remove the batteries.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Mine is stored outside at the house. I leave it plugged in and don't remove the batteries. I do winterize it, and remove all foodstuffs. I also remove the flat screen TV's, a lot of people don't but why take a chance.

lhetsler

If you store outside and live in a harsh winter environment, consider installing four sissor jacks in front of and behind the wheels to keep snow buildup from weighing down the axles and suspensions. The average snow weighs 15 lbs per cubic foot and can add up quickly to 4000 lbs of snow on your springs and axles which many times are barely engineered to handle enough weight anyway. I had the hubs in the axle bend after a harsh winter when the snow never let up enough to give me a change to sweep the roof. I run light without water in the tanks, only one A/C unit and no washer/dryer, so the weight of the snow was the thing I could attribute it to.