Air Con Heat Strip

brains77396

On the air con controls there is a position that says "heat". Is there a built in heat strip or is it something that needs to be added? If it needs to be added, this would be a good time as it is at the dealer for some minor service work. We don't need a lot of heat down here in S. Texas.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Usually an add on.
I am thinking of doing the same. Please post if you do it and how much it cost.

hoefler

I added the heat strip to my unit. I had to have a new module and thermostat, I have the remote control thermostat. It only provides about 5,000 BTU of heat. Will not heat the unit, takes the chill off. The parts cost me about $150 if I remember right. I did the install myself.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
I added the heat strip to my unit. I had to have a new module and thermostat, I have the remote control thermostat. It only provides about 5,000 BTU of heat. Will not heat the unit, takes the chill off. The parts cost me about $150 if I remember right. I did the install myself.

What thermostat is that you are using?

hoefler

It has a remote control similar to a TV remote, no wires. It came with it when I bought it, it is made by Duo-Therm/Dometic.

brains77396

Just spoke with my dealers service dept. The heat strip installed is $190, for a 5000 BTU strip. It goes into the unit and no other parts are required. Just turn the left knob to the heat position. The part itself was $65 and the rest was the install fee. I'll pay the fee since if I ever have a problem my dealer can stand behind their work and not tell me, "You installed it, your problem." Was told it was worth the price down south (Texas for me), but not up north.

Usually an add on.
I am thinking of doing the same. Please post if you do it and how much it cost.

MPG185-GA

Thanks for that info.....I am likely heading in that same direction. The thought of the furnace heater blowing right onto the bottom of the bed platform had me a little nervous. The heat strip sounds like a good idea. Have you had any issues with the condensation dripping on the inside from your A/C unit?

brains77396

No, none at all. We spent 10 days in it and it was very hot and muggy. Not a drop that I saw. I don't know which was the loudest, the AC or my wife complaining about how cold it was in the camper. Heat strip: The service manager told me the heat strip was better suited for down south as it primary purpose was to knock the chill off. Seems as well as the AC works, the units are well insulated meaning it shouldn't take a ton of heat to keep warm. In really cool areas, I still don't see why it would not make a good fall/spring heater. Or, warn up with the furnace and then use the strip to maintain. Going out in Oct so may get a trial run. Will be the only MPG camping with 8 R-Pods.

Thanks for that info.....I am likely heading in that same direction. The thought of the furnace heater blowing right onto the bottom of the bed platform had me a little nervous. The heat strip sounds like a good idea. Have you had any issues with the condensation dripping on the inside from your A/C unit?

MPG185-GA

We generally don't require a lot of heat so the strip sounds perfect. We were camping a couple of weeks ago in the high 90's near 100% hum and the A/C worked great. It did have a lot of condensation on the inside and some dripping on the floor. It also seemed to freeze up at one point during the night. I turned it off for about 30 minutes then back on with no problem. I was just wondering if you had any issues...sounds like a no.

brains77396

Got my 186 back today after a month in the shop. They adjusted the slide so that it now comes all the way in. Fixed the gasket on the throne which put water in the shower when using the black tank rinse, and replaced the plastic molding on both sides that runs along the top from front to back. Also had the heat strip installed, but at 94+ degrees haven't had a chance to test it. If a 5K BTU air con can cool a 144 square ft room, a 5K BTU heater should be able to warn a less than 100 square ft RV. Will follow up on this when it cools off here in S. Texas. Also bought some super grease to do the wheel bearings. Need to add a battery cut off switch and i'll be ready to hit the road. On the road again, I just can't wait to get back on the road again. Willie Nelson. P>S> Nothing was added to the air con except the heat strip. Turn the knob to heat and adjust the temp knob for comfort. There is no wall thermostat involved except for the gas heat.

MPG185-GA

My 185 is in the shop right now getting the heat strip and a battery cut-off switch. They are also looking at some "spidering" cracks in the shower/toiler unit just to the right of the sink.....not sure what to make of that just yet. Just curious, but what was wrong with the molding?

Are you using any additional jacks or stabalizers on the front or just letting it rest on the post? I keep thinking I need to put one or two up there as it seems to be a lot of torque on the front post trailer jack.

brains77396

No jacks, but try a set of the aluminum stacker jacks in the front. Level unit, put down back screw jacks. raise front another 1/2 inch, insert jacks, snug them up and then drop front. Should be nice and steady. Lightweight and low cost. Just don't overload rear jacks when raising front. The battery cut off is my next project. My heat strip would not come on yesterday until after I had run the A/C to cool the thing off. Put the left knob on heat and the strip and fan comes on. The temp is regulated with the right knob. It will cycle on and off when the selected temp is reached. It will be trial and error until you find the right setting. Attached are a couple of photos of the trim that was replaced. Will send you a private e-mail of some mods and small upgrades I installed.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    216.6 KB · Views: 28