R factor in slide outs

lmmsdca

It's been many years since I've owned an RV and that was before there were slides...so I have questions!

We are considering purchasing the 3185RL and are wondering what the R factor is in the slide outs. I know the rig itself has R-9 walls, R-27 floor, and R-23 roof, but looking at pictures of the slide construction it looks like the slides may not have the same R factor or insulation properties.

Have any of you current Bighorn owners noticed a significant difference in temperatures in the slides from the rest of the unit? Do you feel that the insulation provided in the slides is adequate to keep the rigs temperature stable in very hot or very cold temps?

The refrigerator is in the slide as well so I'm hoping the insulation factor is good enough that those really hot days don't cause undue stress on the fridge.

Thanks for the input!
Lisa

2010augusta

The insulation in the slide main wall is the same as the rest of the wall, but the side walls floor and ceiling is nowhere near the the r-value of the rest. the floor is uninsulated 1" thick plywood, the side walls and ceiling have about 1" of glass batting.

It is adequate for 105* TX summers, but we have 2 A/Cs and We are fine in WA winters with temps down in the low 20*s. We supplement with a small electric heater, but the furnace will do just fine.

lhetsler

We have noticed that if we sit at our kitchen table in slide, we have to turn the air to a colder temperature to be comfortable as we are in the main living areas. We especially notice it if we sit for a couple of hours at the table playing games. We just turn the AC on more. I don't really camp in cold weather, but am sure it would be noticeable if spending a significant time in the slides.

Having said that, slides are the name of the game, when looking for an RV. Having three or four slides can nearly double your living area and you will love the space.

lmmsdca

Thanks for the responses. DH and I will be fulltiming and even though we will be chasing ideal temps we also want to make sure we are buying a rig that is as fully prepared for all weather types as possible. We are focusing on four-season rated rigs and I suspect that most in this ~$50k - $75k price range will be similar in how they handle slide insulation.

Thanks again!
Lisa

aatauses

I agree with what has been said. In the winter we use the small firplace to take the added chill off the main living area. The slide floors are cold in the winter, so usually wear slippers. We have not noticed warm slide floors in the summer, only cold in the winter.
We have a BH3670 and our refer is in the slide, yes we have had a few problems keeping it at a cold temp. A few things we did, make sure fins are clear of ice, added a solor fan in the back to provide added circulation.
You will not be sorry about a BH and the customer service you will recieve.
al