Towing sundance xlt

currituck0209

I currently own a northtrail 28rls, I am thinking about a sundance XLT 275 RE, THE DRY WEIGHT IS 7,290, I am towing with a 2008 Tundra, 5.7, tow package, rated for 10,700, Do you think I would have any problem towing with this truck.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
You will be over loaded on the hitch weight by 500-1000 lbs. The rear ends on the Tundras look so small. You have enough horsepower but what is the torque (over 400 tq?). I pulled ours with a 04 Hemi Ram 1500 for one trip but it was overloaded and wasnt fun.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Sorry, you need a bigger truck. At least a 3/4tn...best get the diesel. More power and better fuel economy pulling. If you get one of the 2011's from the big 3..you wont have to upgrade for a loooooong time. Not sure about the Dodge or Ford, but the new GM 3/4tn's are rated to pull a 17,400# 5er and thats a Landmark +1400#'s. Good luck

mrsjack

We have the same rig as you . We are towing with a Dodge Ram 1500...we were also very nervous because of all the people that say dont do it. Our salesman and manufacturer kept telling us it would be fine. So far we have camping in it 5 times. We go once a month. Sometimes local and sometimes 1 to 3 hours away. Things have been fine. These XLT rigs are rated for half ton trucks. Although I would want to go up too many long term steep grades...we are fine on all we have traveled so far. Put the truck in tow mode and go about 50 to 60 mph. Never have gotten over 4000 rpm. So all is good so far. We would like to eventually go long term and far away so by then we will definitely upgrade to a 2500. But like I said - so far so good.

srsawyer

I'm pulling a 285BH (gvw: 11,580 dry: 7,120 Pin: 1,420) With my tundra 5.7 and it pulls great, even in a good wind. I avg. around 10mpg.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I'm pulling a 285BH (gvw: 11,580 dry: 7,120 Pin: 1,420) With my tundra 5.7 and it pulls great, even in a good wind. I avg. around 10mpg.

Loaded your pin weight will be around 1800#, then add the hitch weight 125# plus weight of occupants, optional equipment passengers and cargo (est. 450#) for a total payload of 2350 lbs.
Max. payload for the Tundra is 1575 lbs.

Tentun

Towing Report: We have the 2010 297 RE XLT and tow with a 2010 Tundra DC 5.7 2WD. We just completed our longest trip, about 1500mi over the Tehachapis and out to Death Valley area and back to Sacramento. We were pretty loaded incl. some water for a bit of dry camping, generator and food for a week. Sorry, didn't weigh the rig in this case. The Tundra did great. Best MPG was about 13 and worst 9-10. All I did was increase the tire pressure (still below max) prior to the trip. Prior to this rig we had a 2000 Tundra and a 30ft ultra light travel trailer. The 5th wheel is so much better it felt more like I was towing a boat than the trailer. I'm pretty conservative and only tow at 55-60 mph. Buy the truck you want but I would buy my Tundra again and love the 297 RE. BOL

caissiel

I towed a 5600 Lbs GVW Trailer with a Ford Ranger and it towed fine but it bottomed the springs on the back and had to put an extra ply , Moved on to a GM 6.2L Diesel and it also towed fine, and it still bottomed a bit. Never bothered to add extra springs. The hitch pin weight was just 500 Lbs. The reason I upgraded to the GM was that there could not be anough air in the rear tire to brake properly. The GM was ok for 50 PSI compared to 35 PSI. in the Ranger tires. The reason I say this is that on one occasion I had to apply the brakes on the Ranger for an emergency and later noticed that the rear tires had turned on the rims on both sides, this indicated to me I was towing with not enough air to hold the tires on the rim.

I have sean trucks with 11000 Lbs trailers in tow and I tell them I would not leave the campground unless I had 80PSI in the tires. The GM had 50Lbs but it was far from the 80Lbs that are in the 3/4 Tons and more. People with duallies have told me they pull loads with 60Lbs in the the rear tires for a smooth ride, Well I tell them again I would not leave the campground unless I have 80Lbs in the tires with the heavy trailer they pull.

Its easy to say we can pull 12000 Lbs by the manufactures to sell trucks, but is it the proper rig.

I aggree that we can pull alright, so could I with the V6 Ranger, the revs went up to 6000 in the hills and it survived 3 trips to Florida 2000 Miles a piece. But with the F250 and a 15500 GVW Trailer I can get to Florida safer and much more Comfortably then I use to with the Ranger and not burn more Fuel.

I was told by a friend that the Toyota Dealer was trying to sell him a truck to haul his horse trailer. The Tondra had more HP then the Cummins at the time. It was a Joke to this man as he puts up to 18 horses in his trailer and the Cummins was well with it. HP is no good in towing Its the Low Torque of a Diesel that makes the difference and thats why we have the transports with Cummings and ETC for engines. And for the price of a Tundra most person can buy a strong Diesel Specially looking at the size of the truck you don't need much of a Diesel.

I did over 25 MPG yesterday with my F250 and that was just 2 MPG better then I use to do with the Ranger at the same speed.

My friend had a 8600Lbs GVW trailer and pulled it with his Dodge 1500 and for a while he told me it was fine but later went on a longer trip and noticed the heat gauge was climbing on him in the hills. He traded the 2 year old truck on a Cummins powered unit and again increased the trailer GVW to 12000 Lbs because with the Diesel it was no difference with the big one as it is with the small one.

A Diesel will pull mostly every trailer you choose and to be fair its much better to have a trailer big enough than cut corners to suit the TV.

I could write all day because I see so many people skimping on the truck and put themselves in danger by pulling the heavier trailer in order that the truck be a smooth ride. My trucks are trucks and the ride has to be sacrificed for comfort with a load.

In the US the truck is Large and in Canada most people pull with a smaller truck, So I see a lot of light setups and told how can you drive a truck so big. I tell them its because I am A Big Man.

Tentun

I think your advice is good. I hear that Toyota is going to put a diesel in the Tundra next year or 2012. No question it's about torque more than HP. BOL

currituck0209

Well i now have the sundance xlt, i have towed it twice, once local an once to mt airy, nc. & through hillsville va. With some mountains of average size. It towed like a dream & my gas mileage increased from 10 with the northtrail to 13.4 with the sundance. The xlt sundance was designed for a 1/2 ton pickup.