Ocean City Pics

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Just a few pics of our O.C. Trip this year. Another great time at Frontier Town Campground. Very, Very busy, but lots of fun.
We discovered a new hobby at the beach, Crabbing. Every Morning at 6:00 and during the evening, you would find my daughter and I on th pier, crabbing. Best $20 we spent the whole week. Lots of Fun.
fk6vdv.jpg

4g2a7m.jpg

96xbgz.jpg

k9xv7a.jpg

3yj2h.jpg

2s6ls84.jpg

157j70o.jpg

286v02p.jpg

jbeletti

Cool Jamie and Ginger. How do you prepare the crab once you catch them? Do they have to be cleaned in anyway before cooking or just drop them into a pot of boiling water with Old Bay Seasoning.

Jim

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
God forbid...NO!!! You don't BOIL crabs in Maryland...they are steamed!!! With Old Bay and BEER...do I have to teach you everything Bro?? ;)

Rrloren

Or you can do them Jersey style where we clean them first. I have a brew I make with beer , garlic , oil, vinegar and a number of other herbs then cook them in my 60 qt. pot over a flame thrower burner . Takes 3 or 4 mins. to cook a couple dozen. You need a couple hrs. and plenty beer , nice way to spend an afternoon with family and friends.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Cool Jamie and Ginger. How do you prepare the crab once you catch them? Do they have to be cleaned in anyway before cooking or just drop them into a pot of boiling water with Old Bay Seasoning.

Jim

I carefully walk up and down the pier and find someone that is keeping them and give them away. For every 20 we catch, only 1-2 are big enough to legally keep. I don't have a steamer and I didn't know if you can boil them or not. Someone let me know, we only have 2 days left down here.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
You don't need a steamer...you just need a big Dutch Oven type of pot...place a metal colander or something like it upside down in the pot...cover the bottom with water and beer, stack the LIVE crabs on top, cover the crabs with Old Bay and some rock salt, then turn up the heat and steam till crabs are bright red!!! UMM UMM GOOD!!!

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
Jamie,

Thanks for posting those photo's I had heard that the area is very nice !!

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Hey Jamie, Clean them and place them in a throw away tray. Melt margerine, 4 seasons Italian dressing (prepared to package directions) Garlic and onion powders. Pour that over the crabs and cook on your grill until all have turned red!

I can't eat them but John says that is the best way to prepare them. Everyone raves about his crabs!

dieselsweetheart

I have never eaten crabs that way....sounds interesting but it sounds like a lot of work. While I'm in Rehoboth I get my crabs at Big Fish Grille. If someone makes them, I'll eat 'em. Glad to hear you are having a nice time Jamie Ginger and Madison!!!

porthole

Retired
Ever wonder how hungry the first person to catch and eat blue claws was? Boy are they a lot of work.

My spin - lobsters or crabs - I don't cook them with anything I don't want to eat - so they get cleaned first.

What I typically do if we are at the boat when crabbing is to; catch them, rip the upper shell off, break them in half and then use a stiff brush to brush off any extras, typically the gills by this time. Once I have enough clean 'half" crabs I drop them right on the grill.
Good fresh crabs only need a bottle of beer to enjoy.

Jim