Barrel Door will not stay shut

mrmagoo

We took delivery of our Big Horn 3670 in May... And we love it...

One issue we have is that the Barrel Cabinet at the end of the Island Sink will not stay shut during our travels. Our dealer provided us with new replacement latches which I installed, but this did not help... Every time we travel, the door opens and our spices end up all over the place. We do not have it heavily loaded... it is mainly spices (I have read that others load it with water and drinks with no issues).

I even tried putting some velcro at the top of the door, this did not do the trick either... When the door is closed, there appears to be a 'natural' gap at the top but nothing at the bottom. Perhaps the door is warped and this is causing the problems?

I have spoken to others with this cabinet, and they say that they have no issues. I literally believe that our cabinet would open if someone brushed against it when walking buy... this is how loosely it latches.

We have resorted to using duct tape on the top and bottom to hold it shut during our travels, but I don't like doing this as I fear it will eventually harm the finish. I have heard the suggestions of putting screws in the cabinet and the adjacent cupboard and using hair ties or some sort of childproof catch... but I'd prefer that it be fixed so it works on its own (like others indicate theirs works) I really don't want screws sticking out of my cabinet so I can tie it shut in my travels.

Has anyone at the factory run into this situation? or do you have a resolution?

I'd appreciate any assistance.

Thank you.

Boca_Shuffles

If you move around a lot, a child proof latch on the inside of the cabinet door would work. The problem is that you have to reach in each time to unlatch it. This is a good solution if you have to pack up a lot.

If you are more stationary and only move occasionally, use a bungee cord without the metal hooks. You will only have to put these on the door knobs when you move and won't have to use the child proof latches above, when you are at extended stay locations.

RoadJunkie

I can only add to the "ours doesn't open during traveling group", but I wonder if you installed a strong magnet latch, in place of the plastic compression catches, it might work to help keep it closed. Perhaps the hinges on your unit are tensioned too tight which compresses the mating doors edges to cause a "spring" effect on the latches?

K

karykatz

Don and Betty,

This is the first issue I have heard on the latch. In my experience the latch has been very effective. It sounds like that when you shut the door, the latch is not lining up correctly. Is there any way your local dealer can take another look at the latch.

mrmagoo

Fortunately, my 2009 BH3670 does not have that barrel thing in it, so I don't know what type of latch they put in it. But perhaps something like this might work. Possibly put one at the top and bottom.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2294&filter=door latches

:D Those are the exact latches that are on it... and I have replaced the originals with a new set that my dealer supplied... This didn't help at all... but thanks for the suggestion.

mrmagoo

Kary,

The latches are lining up... (meaning the posts are definitely going thru the holes). I really wonder if the issue may be that the cabinet is warped... because there is probably a 1/4 inch gap at the top between the door and the cabinet wall when the door is closed, and the bottom is snug. I think this is not allowing the door to shut and latch properly.

It is a 1.5 - 2 hr haul to get to our dealer (depending on traffic)... Our dealer does not know it yet, but yes, we plan to take the rig back there near the end of the camping season to get some minor issues fixed... If need be, this will probably be near the top of the 'please, please, please' fix it list...

I am hoping that they will just order a new door and replace this one... Since this seems to be an isolated case... I have to believe it is probably just an issue with the door... and hopefully a new one will resolve the issue.

Thanks for your input.

Don

RollingHome

Don, We have a 2011 - 3670 too and have had absolutely no problems with the barrel cabinet you are speaking about... I have to wonder what's going on with yours ? In fact, that cabinet requires quite a tug to open, (when I am bragging about our unit to others). Also, it's still empty, just more storage then we need... But it's still cool with it's unique design and bragging rights...

Tom

sdagro

We have a 2011 3670 also. Our swinging barrel door opens occasionally and we discovered a broken latch. Imagine that. Never have seen that type latch before til I checked out the link above. Guess I'll order a few of them and save the warranty claims for the bigger things. Steve A. Dagro

ofcamper

We took delivery of our 2011 3670RL a month ago. Right away the barrel door would not stay latched during travel. Thinking that it was too heavily loaded we moved things around and only have storage bags and food wraps in it. No avail it still continued to open to the point that if someone walked by it, it would open. Our dealer ended up installing a third latch in the center and this seems to be holding so far. Just traveled to CT over the weekend and hit some pretty bad roads and it still stayed close. Hopefully this will be the case in the future.

DougS

Doug S
Don,
I have a Landmark with the same type of barrel door which faces to the front of the RV. I just received a replacement door because my original barrel door was warped and the moulding was broken. I still think the door might open, so I installed a window sash lock on the outside of the door. I was able to find a nickel coated lock. I will just use the lock while traveling.

DougS

Wharton

We have a barrel door that keeps opening also. We finally put a hook and eye on it. Solved the problem.

K

karykatz

Thanks for all the input. We are going to explore different latches.

Cloyd

Had the same problem with my 2011 3670. (check thread in modifications) I installed two magnetic cabinet closures, one high and one low. Have not had a problem since.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
My barrel cabinet had the same problem right after delivery. when I took it in for minor service after first trip to General Trailer in Brownstown they installed a different type of latch and have not had a problem since. If my RV was not in winter :( storage now I would post a pic of it. Maybe in the spring.

DEBJER

We had the same problem on our 3670. We adjusted the hinges and catches. Havent had any trouble since. We think it should be a dealer fix, but our dealer is a two and a half hour drive

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I have the same problem with my 3585 as does a member of our Okla Chapter. Had it in for some other repairs last week. The dealer told me he replaced a latch. Have not gone out since. I too have about 1/4" gap at the top and flush at bottom. Going to Texas this week will know if repair worked..
Larry and Donna Keever
Oklahoma City,OK.

ChopperBill

Ours has never come open but we never load it with anything but chips and other light items. I see they have quit putting the barrel door in, a giant step backwards. Looks kinda naked with out it. A simple hook latch would have fixed a simple problem.