Looking for Camground in West Va. Along I-77 and I-64

MJordan

"PA n MA s"
Hello:
We are taking a trip to North Carolina (Advance) from Wilmington Ohio (50 miles south of Columbus).
We are going down I-77 (is there really any other way?).
Need to spend a night somewhere about 4 - 5 hours into our trip.
This puts us around I-77 and I-64 (Beckley WV).
Can anyone recommend a campground in that vicinity?

beasleyrl

This may be a little further South than you want to go, but it is a good, safe, cheap, easy in/out overnight park. If you go here, make sure you make a reservation early in the afternoon because from what I saw, they fill up. The address is Max Meadows but it is what I would consider Wytheville. Fort Chiswell RV Park. 312 Fort Chiswell Rd, Max Meadows, VA. There is also a big Flying-J at this exit for easy fill up.

If you don't mind going a little off the interstate and want a little more than an overnight, Pipestem State Park just North of Bluefield, WV is very nice but you will lose some time getting off/on the interstate. Bluefield is about an hour South of Beckley.

Wharton

WV has very few campgrounds overall. When we need to go through WV it is always a challenge. Someplace N of 64/I77 intersection is a very nice travel plaza with a store/restaurant above it. You can stay there overnight with no problem(boondocking). The name escapes me, haven't been that way in many a year.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'd be interested in how you like the drive down I-77 through WV and VA, pulling your rig. We've done it many times in just our SUV going to Myrtle Beach, not towing, and it can be a little white-knuckled in spots if you're not careful. Beckley is where we motel for the night.

Wharton

My recollection is that it is not a pleasant experience. Just get the the right hand lane and suck it up. You'll be out of the state sooner or later. The length of I77 is around 200 miles, take a long break in the middle and it shouldn't be too bad. I seem to recall I77 is much flatter than I64 so try to stick to I77 if you can. I64 cuts across the mountains E/W, very steep hills.

MJordan

"PA n MA s"
This may be a little further South than you want to go, but it is a good, safe, cheap, easy in/out overnight park. If you go here, make sure you make a reservation early in the afternoon because from what I saw, they fill up. The address is Max Meadows but it is what I would consider Wytheville. Fort Chiswell RV Park. 312 Fort Chiswell Rd, Max Meadows, VA. There is also a big Flying-J at this exit for easy fill up.

If you don't mind going a little off the interstate and want a little more than an overnight, Pipestem State Park just North of Bluefield, WV is very nice but you will lose some time getting off/on the interstate. Bluefield is about an hour South of Beckley.

Thanks for the infomation

beasleyrl

I'd be interested in how you like the drive down I-77 through WV and VA, pulling your rig. We've done it many times in just our SUV going to Myrtle Beach, not towing, and it can be a little white-knuckled in spots if you're not careful. Beckley is where we motel for the night.

I77 North of Beckley is a fun road to drive... If you're in a sports car! As someone else said, just pick a lane and take your time. I've been driving that road for 30 years. It has changed dramatically! It use to be 1 lane (each direction) and went through several tunnels. Now it is at least 2 lanes all the way from Charleston to Bluefield and there is only 1 tunnel South of Bluefield (WV/VA line). It is a toll road so be ready with your money! If you are going to cut over on I64 through VA to I95, it is a great road but you definitely know you are in the mountains! It is one of the prettiest interstates I know of -- especially in the Fall. Make sure you have good brakes and that you are comfortable with the ups and downs. It isn't really that curvy but it has a lot of ups and downs both east and west of I81. With our Cyclone, we struggle to maintain 50 on some of the tops of the mountains.

firemailwv

Being from the Charleston area, I know all of the campgrounds in the area. Their actually is a campground at Beckley. However, it is probably 25 minutes off the highway and a pretty tight squeeze to drive to and to get in. It is called Lake Stevens and here is the website. http://www.lakestephenswv.com/ We have stayed there many times, but I would probably not use this as an overnight stop. But check it out. As said earlier, Pipestem State Park is about 20 minutes south of Beckley and probably 30 minutes off the interstate. I have driven through the campground but we have not stayed there. http://www.pipestemresort.com/ Your best bet is probably Camp Creek state park. This is about 20 minutes south of Beckley and a short trip, 5 minutes off the Interstate. Here is the website http://www.campcreekstatepark.com/
Back north on I77 at Sissonville there is a campground called Rippling Waters but is an hour and half north of Beckley, probably just 2 hours into your trip. This is about 15 minutes south of Ripley,WV if that rings a bell to you. http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/West_Virginia/Romance.html

If none of this looks good for you, well, there really are no other options in the area. You do have the Tamarack, which a large rest area with all the amenities including a very nice WV souvenir center/convention center. There is plenty of parking for overnight. Other than that, you want to go on south to Wytheville as someone above stated. I know nothing about the campground there.

I guess I am used to the Turnpike from Charleston to the VA state line. I don't mind the curves or the hills. The rough road is what really gets me blood pressure up. I guess when you are used to pulling a 5th wheel in WV, it really is like vacation when you leave the state and get to flat ground! But we love our state! Go Mountaineers!

Sorry for being so windy, but hopefully this will help the original poster.