Bye-bye Lippert leaf springs

branson4020

Icantre Member
Been meaning to change out these lousy springs. I was going to wait until fall when I inspect the brakes and pack the bearings, but I noticed severly uneven tire wear after our last trip. They weren't broken, but they were flat. A couple of them worse than flat. Here's pictures of old and new springs. Without weight on them, its a little hard to see how really bad they were. The orginal 4 leaf pack is 1.58" thickness. The new 6-leaf pack is 2.16" and not stamped "China." :D

branson4020

Icantre Member
The new springs are rated at 3300 lbs. No idea about the old springs. They're the Lippert factory originals and have only about 7500 lightly-loaded miles on them.

scotty

Bob, those look identical to what I just purchased from Hecht Trailer here in centeral Jersey (Toms River). Funny, so does our old springs. The springs I purchased are rated at 3300Lbs. I also purchased new U bolts (9/16), kit came with bolts, lock nuts and top plate . To top it off I got a wet bolt kit from MOR/Ryde, oredered directly from gary Wheeler and was at my door in 5 days, counting the weekend . I have the RE suspension, which as I understand is the older system (my units build date is 13 Dec 05). Now I just have to find time to install them. We're living in the unit and working here in Lakehurst. I've already changed out the plastic bushing with the bronze. This was a piece of cake, plastic came out easy and bronze went in almost as easy.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Well, I just got back from a short trip that I have done often and I declare the new leaf springs TERRRRRIIIFFFFIC! What a difference in the way the rig tows. No more wallowing side-to-side at every little bump, much better handling on windy roads. It just feels like its a smalller rig. I realize now that the factory springs were weak and inadequate from day one. The only downside is that I found myself travleing about 5-7 mph faster without realizing it. Now I'll just watch and see if the uneven tire wear is corrected.

traveler44

Howdy! Yall -- Do you have to change any of the hardware to install these heavier springs? They look like they should raise the trailer higher off the axle. I wondered if stronger springs put more stress on the bolts and brackets or anything? Tom M.

branson4020

Icantre Member
These are the maximum size spring pack you can use with the factory-supplied U-bolts, so I didn't change anything else. Some folks have installed "wet bolt" kits or bronze bushings when they changed out their springs. My rig now rides 1-2 inches higher.

watchthebox

Did you change out your leaf springs yourself? How difficult of a job is it? Do you have to have the alignment checked/adjusted after you change them out?

lwmcguir

Easy job to change out springs. No you don't have to check the alignment. The spring pack bolt goes into the hole on the axle spring support bracket. The hardest part is jacking and supporting the coach so you can safely work under it.