Scary sight in my passenger side mirror

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
So we were going north on I75 towards Findlay Ohio when I started to hear an unusual noise. I started to look all around and all the sudden in the passenger side mirror I saw our door side basement door fully open. Wholly crap! I pulled over as soon as I could. Linda got out and shut it. The handle was still locked. I was the one who shut the door, locked the handle and tried it to make sure it was solid. Well it felt solid to me. So what a surprise to see that wide open on I75. We didn't hit any pot holes or anything. If anything, we had a rougher ride to and from New Jersey earlier this summer and no problem then. Well, I'll count this as a fluke and hope it doesn't happen again but from now on I will be more alert and looking in the side mirror for that door.

Mark

bighorn3370

Mark, good to hear that there was not more damge done or anything flying out and hitting another car. I hope the rest of your trip was less eventful. Ernie

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Thanks Ernie,
We were very fortunate that nothing came out. As it happens I had just thrown my cordless drill and 90 degree cordless drill in that compartment and it was still there. Wew!!

loafer

Hey Mark thats scary glad you did not lose any tools or what ever you had in the basement. I saw a basement that had 2 locks on the doors replaced the 2 end latches with the round key type locks .That way you have twice the chance of getting the door locked. I know from now on I will double check mine before we head out on the road.
Alls well that ends well in this case.
Bill

Northern Virginia
Mark, I had the same thing happen to me on interstate 66 last fall. Amazingly, we didn't have anything fall out. Kind of weird.

John

WilmanJim

Traveling these wonderful roads over the last 8 years with over 100,000 miles towing I thank the inventors of Totes and Ratchet Straps. Keeps everything in it's place especially if you run I-40 through OKC. I'm always in my side mirrors. Saw someone coming up on us once with their awning center post flapping in the breeze. Tried to motion to them when they passed, but they just waved and flew by. Every time the trailer wiggled the center post would fly out about 3 foot. Also have seen people driving along with their awning unraveled. They must never look in their mirrors.

Jim

4ever

Gald to hear you found it before any damage or anyhting fell out of the compartment. On our last trailer I had my propane storage door fly open twice. Also a slam baggage door. Both time I know i had slamed it shut. Bad roads will do strange things.

Ted

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
You might wish to consider this. After we returned from the Kingston rally, and unpacked just about everything, I locked up the storage doors before I went in for the night. In the morning I was puttering arround on the drivers side getting stuff etc. I walked arround to the passanger side could not rememebr if I had unlocked it. I gave it a tug and it opened. This puzzed me as the pull on the latch was not a full pull. make a long story short, when I used the key the pull got longer. I bent the latch (the bar on the base) out some more then retried it, now the door does not open when locked. I would check the bark the latch hooks onto.

Willym

Good information, Mark and Chainsaw. I'll be checking mine now. Thanks

You might wish to consider this. After we returned from the Kingston rally, and unpacked just about everything, I locked up the storage doors before I went in for the night. In the morning I was puttering arround on the drivers side getting stuff etc. I walked arround to the passanger side could not rememebr if I had unlocked it. I gave it a tug and it opened. This puzzed me as the pull on the latch was not a full pull. make a long story short, when I used the key the pull got longer. I bent the latch (the bar on the base) out some more then retried it, now the door does not open when locked. I would check the bark the latch hooks onto.