AC woes - fuse light on - 5 murdered fuses!!

PEIFAMILY

Had another overnight camping trip with our sundance 3300ck and another problem :(

The AC quit working last night, the fuse light showing a blown fuse was on. I replaced the fuse and instantly it fried it. I tried 3 fuses and killed them all.

I was hooked up to the shore at the time. I unplugged the shore, tried it again, another murdered fuse. I unhooked the battery, all lights were off (hey, thought it was worth a try to reset it) and hooked it back up. - blown fuse light still on without any fuses in it. (I read that this comes on when its trying to draw power?)

I have the AC turned off at the thermostat, and the light is still on. After a 37 minute hold to Dometic, the cs rep thought the compressor was seized and recommended I contact a repair facility.

I cant get into see them until mid next week for them to confirm then they need to order a complete unit in and I was hoping to use the AC this weekend. (heck , we only have a few weeks of season here before the CG's close so I doubt I will even have it repaired in time if the compressor is fried) Did anyone else have this happen and is it the compressor or a quick fix the CS rep wasnt familar with?

The AC would have about 1 hr use on it since being brand new. Is this common for them to go or what would have caused this?

Thanks!

hoefler

You have a short in the thermostate lead. The A/C runs on 120 volts that is controlled by a 12 volt thermostate. If your thermostate controls the furnace and the A/C, it could also be in the furnace.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
As the previous poster mentioned, it sounds like a t'stat wire is shorting out. Pull the t'stat from the wall and check the connections there and you will have to remove the A/C panel on the ceiling to get to the wires on the other end. Hopefully it's at the t'stat end and it will be an easy fix.

Duramax1

I have found this exchange of information to be quite informative.

Just by coincidence I was looking at my power panel today and I saw a 15 amp dc fuse that was labeled A/C and I was quite puzzled as to what this could possible mean.

Now I know.

PEIFAMILY

tried calling 2 places to see if they can check it out as requested by the Dometic CS. Wont know anything til sometime hopefully monday as to when or if I can get it looked at.

BTW, my furnace is out too. I tried to use it the other early morning when we were camping.

Thanks

EDIT: Wont be until the 31st before I can have it looked at :(

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have found this exchange of information to be quite informative.

Just by coincidence I was looking at my power panel today and I saw a 15 amp dc fuse that was labeled A/C and I was quite puzzled as to what this could possible mean.

Now I know.

And on my 12V fuse panel, there are two fuses at the bottom that are not labelled at all. No idea what they are for.