Use of Formaldehyde?

Bighurt

We purchased our rig earlier this year. What has become interesting is between the three boys one has gotten sick every time we go camping. I'm talking sniffles, I'm talking full on fever and vomiting. I thought it was just poor timing and the inevitability of three boys. However it has been suggested that there maybe a chemical exposure, and Formaldehyde was mentioned first.

So I have to ask, is Formaldehyde used in the construction of the RV's at Heartland? Are there any other items within our rig that present an exposure issue?

I think its a long shot but have to ask, has anyone seen similar issues with their health and the RV?

Thanks
Jeremy

hoefler

It is certainly possible. The Formaldehyde will dissapate over time. To help it, open all the windows and vents, and let it air out. A nice sunny breezy day can do wonders. Placing a fan in one of the windows blowing fresh air into the coach will help as well. Believe it or not, cold brisk days will work the best. It is unfortunate to have a child be so miserable when they are suppose to be having a good time.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I don't believe that Heartland uses formaldehyde. I haven't experienced the burning nose and eyes in a Heartland like I do in other brands.

wdk450

It is certainly possible. The Formaldehyde will dissapate over time. To help it, open all the windows and vents, and let it air out. A nice sunny breezy day can do wonders. Placing a fan in one of the windows blowing fresh air into the coach will help as well. Believe it or not, cold brisk days will work the best. It is unfortunate to have a child be so miserable when they are suppose to be having a good time.

Why do you need a fan in the windows when you have Fantastic fans and a bathroom vent fan???

guitarpicr

We recently ordered a new coach (2011 Sundance) & salesman told us they don't use formaldehyde in the new ones. Don't know for sure if this is true or not.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
WE have a O7 Bighorn and I have not smelled any at all our SunnyBrook we had was real bad burned your eyes till it air out then it was ok.

dieselsweetheart

I think there is something they use because when our BH is parked the one side is totally up against our garage. Sometimes when I am packing for a trip I notice the stong smell that burns my eyes and I have to work fast and then get back out. I don't notice this when we are at a campsite, only when we have it at home. We've had our unit 5 seasons now and I think the odor is less as time goes on. But it was bad enough to make me want to get back out fast....of course, DH thinks I'm crazy. But true...being up against the garage totally on the one side is not allowing air to circulate...which is why the fumes were allowed to build up.

I read a review on a chest of drawers I was looking to buy from Target. People wrote about the smell the furniture had once they put the chest together. Their description was exactly what I noticed in my BH. So what can be in the furniture that might also be used in the walls of the RV?

hoefler

Why do you need a fan in the windows when you have Fantastic fans and a bathroom vent fan???

You will get more incoming fresh air if you push it in instead of trying to suck it out. A technique we use in fire fighting called positive pressure ventilation. We use it to get the smoke out of the way.

lwmcguir

Formaldehyde is used in the manufacture of pressed woods. It is necessary to keep the sheets from rotting from withing. Best thing to do is air out the coach and leave windows open/cracked when you have it stored. There are some manufactures that have switched to other biocide however they all use something that could cause a reaction if you are very sensitive. Many people sensitize and then the next exposure is worse than the first. As the other poster stated use the exhaust fans and crack the windows. Get it purged out and hopefully you Will be better off.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You will get more incoming fresh air if you push it in instead of trying to suck it out. A technique we use in fire fighting called positive pressure ventilation. We use it to get the smoke out of the way.

If you're going to use PPV, then get a large fan and place it outside the door or large window. It will help if you get the screen out of the way, too. Turn it to the highest setting, blowing into the trailer. Close all other windows, and open the roof vents. Turning on the vent exhaust fans will help. The idea is to pressurize the rig to force the fumes out. If you open all of the windows, you will be defeating the purpose. I know, I have to occasionally kick young (and some old) FF's in the rear when they run around opening up every orifice they can find when we're trying to ventilate.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Is there any chance it could be the change in the drinking water?? Might sound strange, but it affects our pets. It could have an effect on youngsters as well. Just taking a guess here.

Bighurt

Is there any chance it could be the change in the drinking water?? Might sound strange, but it affects our pets. It could have an effect on youngsters as well. Just taking a guess here.

That was my thought, as we typically run dry and fill on site.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just a thought...could it be the glue used in the manufacturing process? They use glue in the floor, furniture and even in the lamination process. I suppose some could be sensitive to the glue fumes which will dissipate over time.

Bighurt

Just a thought...could it be the glue used in the manufacturing process? They use glue in the floor, furniture and even in the lamination process. I suppose some could be sensitive to the glue fumes which will dissipate over time.

Yes in fact I was hoping someone from the factory would post what products they use, or what products they install that contain Formaldehyde. The MSDS will list content and exposure rates.

As a carpenter myself I'm exposed quite a bit, as I use a fair amount of manufactured wood in the process. I haven't noticed any odor in the fiver, still has that new fiver smell. I personally think its a combination of things...todays kids aren't as tough.

ann1951

When we where looking to buy our next 5er we found that some of the units relay smelled bad as in burning eyes bad, we walked in one and had to turn around immediately. This was on a hot day about 30c so close to 90f.
We checked out a heartland bh as well and we could not smell anything at all, no burning sensation or watery eyes,so we thought that they did not use any formaldehyde in their product.

We ended up buying a bh elsewhere and never had a problem even in hot weather.

lwmcguir mentioned that a person can get sensitized to formaldehyde and I sure hoop that this is not the case with your kid, if so you will have to sell your unit and I'll tell you why.

I just retired from a fertilizer plant (actually yesterday first day of my retirement yahoo) we use formaldehyde as well for the urea we produce.
One of the people got sensitized and could not work at the plant anymore he could not even get to the gatehouse this is how bad it got.
Just to let you know there are tests that can be done to find out if your boy is sensitized maybe something to consider because every time he gets exposed to it it gets a little worse.

Lets hoop that is not the case Joe

ann1951

I just seen a thread by jmgratz called "newsletter" one day ago, open it and and you see that it is called rv travel.com scroll, down have ways on the left hand side is an article about formaldehyde in new rv's
This might help Joe

jcarnevale

Hi Jermy,

Sorry to hear about the kids getting sick. We have the same rig manufactured in May of this year and no problems with the kids or the wife and I. I know this doesn't help your situation but maybe help in narrowing it down to something else. My oldest boy is allergic to a lot of things but no problem in the camper. Best of luck.

Jay

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
Formaldehyde is used to manufacture adhesives and resins found in carpet, linoleum, paneling, insulation, furniture foam and fabric, etc. Every recreational vehicle, automobile, and home has formaldehyde in it. Recreational vehicles tend not to get used and aired out as often as a person’s home or vehicle which captures the odor lending to the assumption that building materials differ across these industries. Heartland Recreational Vehicles are built to HUD standards and comply with all necessary regulations.

hoefler

Formaldehyde is used to manufacture adhesives and resins found in carpet, linoleum, paneling, insulation, furniture foam and fabric, etc. Every recreational vehicle, automobile, and home has formaldehyde in it. Recreational vehicles tend not to get used and aired out as often as a person’s home or vehicle which captures the odor lending to the assumption that building materials differ across these industries. Heartland Recreational Vehicles are built to HUD standards and comply with all necessary regulations.

This is why ventilation is so important. Get it aired out, and it will be ok!