circuit breaker for BR opens while traveling

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
JerryV, is experiencing an issue with the circuit breaker for the BR in his 2010 BH. It works fine when plugged in to shore power, 50, 30, or 20 amp, the breaker worked fine. However, after towing, Jerry will find the breaker kicked open. It will be reset and everything is fine until BH is towed. Two new breakers have been installed, but the issue still shows up in the form of an open breaker after towing, and it is always the same breaker. No problems with the GFI, and the bedroom fan works fine when on shore power. Dealer does not have an answer. Any ideas or suggestions?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Tom, a few things come to mind. Has Jerry ever checked the breaker after unplugging and before towing?
Does he turn off the pedistal breaker before unplugging?
Even though the breaker has been changed, has it ever been swapped out with a known good 15 amp breaker from a different location?
Does Jerry have enough beer for us when we fix it at Campfest?

Peace
Dave

Geonkat

Tom,

I have read elswhere on this forum where some folks found 115V wiring had been damaged by chaffing with structure under the bed. It would be possible for a short to only exist when the slide is closed. If the external power is on during closing the slide or before opening, the circuit breaker would trip and then could be reset and work normally after the slide is opened. I'd check the wire routing under the bed and look for any contact with structure or moving parts. (Damaged insulation)

Good luck,
George

RoadJunkie

I too thought my BR breaker was tripping as a result of traveling, but it turned out the BR slide was eating up the AC Romex.

DSCN0160.JPGDSCN0163.JPG