New Owner!! 2011 31 QBS! Couple Questions.....

flag614

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. New proud owner of my 2011 31 QBS! I just have a couple basic questions.

1.) Has anyone ever wall mounted a LCD TV (in the bunk room where the CATV outlet is)?? It feels like there is a vertical center stud running down the middle for this. Can anyone help? Dont want to put too long of a screw either....1 inch? Factory question Im guessing? Opinions?

2.) I currently drive a Dodge Durango 5.7 HEMI. I can pull max 7200#. My trailer weighs 6200 (with loaded gear). I am towing using a Weight Distribution Hitch and Sway Control. My question is, is the 31 QBS too long for my vehicle if I only stay local and take it easy?

We plan on upgrading our tow vehicle with a longer wheel base pickup soon, but wanted to know if we are safe until then. Opinions? Anyone else in my boat? Carl

jimtoo

Hi Carl,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure someone that has a North Trail will jump in and give you the information your looking for soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

scormier

Welcome Carl

We also purchased a 2011 31QBS back in early spring and we love it, We've put about 8,000KM's so far and I've had no problems pulling it around with my 2010 4.6L Tundra 4x4 double cab...my wheel base is 146in. I had similar concerns when I was buying ours, got to say those concerns are gone...a bigger truck would be nice but I'm quite happy with my setup...I run a Husky weight distribution hitch with a sway bar attached. Fuel mileage isn't great at around 10miles/gallon, but that's what I was expecting. Living in Western Newfoundland, we have lots of hills, I drive at around 100km/hr on flats or down hill, but let it drop down to 80km/hr up the hills to save fuel...she'll pull mutch faster but you'll watch the needle drop quickly.

I'm sure if you contact the factory about the TV wall mounting, they'll point you in the right direction.

Happy camping!!!

Serge

irvin56

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/577923013VsDduA
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/577456038uQWrsP

Here's what I did in the back bunk house.
Added a cupboard on bottom and mounted the one that was in trailer to top of it
Also mounted a flat screen in front bed room

If mounting on on back wall,in bunk area, you only have one center metal stud in back wall to mount to.
Make sure it's only a lite tv and take down for traveling.

I have a 4.8l and tow mine okay. 3rd season and no problems

Jerry Nelms

Traveler
Welcome to the Heartland Family and to the forum. This is a great group of folks that can offer great help with many of your problems.

I had experience with a Hemi powered Jeep Commander last Labor Day that neither my wife nor I will ever forget. This incident led to us to never tow our TT with the Jeep again. We purchased a 2008 Sundance 2800RB TT and was assured by our dealer that the Jeep would tow it without a problem. The Jeep did pull without any problem. The Hemi will more than tow the weight but we did notice a little sway at times and added a second anti-sway control to the other side of the hitch. We felt we probably did need a different TV so we also stayed close to home. Well, while towing our TT back home last Labor Day from a campground 1 hour from home, we were moving along the interstate without any problems when we came out from behind trees into clear air. When this happened the trailer caught a wind gust and swayed hard moving from the TT from one lane to the other and throwing the Jeep around like a rag doll. To this day I cannot fully expalin how I got everything back into control except the Jeep had adequate HP to pull us out of the sway and obviously the good Lord was ridng with us. Needless to say, we never towed the TT again with this vehicle. I will tell you that the Hemi will tow it but the wheel base maybe too short to control the length. We now tow with a GMC Denail XL with a long wheel base, basically a 3/4 ton Suburban. We now have no problems towing and the control is great, no sway. I am no longer concerned when traveling and this is a great feeling. I tell you this not to create a panic but to let you know what can happen. Wheel base length is very important with a longer TT. Your Durango like my Jeep may be a little short.

Hope this helps and happy traveling.

flag614

Thanks Jerry for the input! Wheel base is very under rated in peoples minds. From what I heard, engine and "weight" of trailer is what everyone talks about. Power isnt everything. I plan on staying local and going very slow, etc...It's in our very soon plans to get a longer wheel base tow vehicle. Can I ask what your wheel base is (approx.) so I can gauge it on my next vehicle? My wife is not a fan of pickups, probably will get a larger SUV like yours.

Again, thanks for your advice my friend. Have a nice day. Carl

Jerry Nelms

Traveler
Wheelbase for the Denali XL is 130" with an overal length of 219". My wife also does not like a pick-up so the SUV. In addition my wife owns a party shop and needs the cover to make deliveries.