King pin & SuperGlide 18K Hitch

BruteForce

I've just returned from a 5 day, 500 mile ATV expedition. Upon getting to my dry camping location, my rear tire went up and over a 1' rock, causing the 5'er to jolt fairly violently.

Coming home, and having all the windows on my truck open, I could hear the King Pin sliding in the hitch. When I'd hit the brakes, the King Pin would slide, then if I hit the skinny pedal, I could again hear a metal-on-metal clunk.

Is this normal? Usually, I've had windows closed and radio up so never really heard or paid attention to the hitch sounds. It's definitely got a bit of play in it.

rjr6150

Sounds to me as though something has broken. The Superglide is only rated to tilt a certain number of degrees and wonder if you maybe exceeded that. I would check your owners manual of head to the Pullrite site and look at an exploded view of the parts. When you say slide how far back is it going?

jnbhobe

Have you adjusted the centering block lately. That will let the hitch pin head move a little if its loose.

BruteForce

Have you adjusted the centering block lately. That will let the hitch pin head move a little if its loose.

I have no idea what that means or how to do it. Is that the big chunk of plastic with the bolt through it on the North end of the King Pin?

BruteForce

Sounds to me as though something has broken. The Superglide is only rated to tilt a certain number of degrees and wonder if you maybe exceeded that. I would check your owners manual of head to the Pullrite site and look at an exploded view of the parts. When you say slide how far back is it going?

From SOUND only, it sounds like it's moving at least an inch in both directions.

jnbhobe

I have no idea what that means or how to do it. Is that the big chunk of plastic with the bolt through it on the North end of the King Pin?

Thats the one!! should be snug plus a 1/8 to 1/4 turn, it takes a 3/4 wrench and a socket, and check the roller bearing on the cantalever that guides the turning

BruteForce

Thats the one!! should be snug plus a 1/8 to 1/4 turn, it takes a 3/4 wrench and a socket, and check the roller bearing on the cantalever that guides the turning

Thanks. As soon as I get my 5'er back from service (the rooftop AC had to be replaced), I'll try this out.

The plate on the KingPin does seem to jostle around a bit..if I grab by hand.

driver311

the plate shouldn't move . if u cant get it tight with the bolts have it welded to the hitch. the movment is probly the nylon block. it has to be tightned with out the trailer. in the head the jaws that secure the pin can never get loose as it just turnes more as it wears.

driver311

only weld it if u cant keep the bolts tight! i use a super glide it has about 300000 miles on it and has had no parts replaced, just keep it lubed with lithium grease and all is well.

porthole

Retired
What kind of king pin?

If the "movable" part is moving back and forth a bit it wouldn't matter if the windows are open or closed - you most likely would feel and hear it anyway.

The adjustment Jon referenced is easy and is part of the PM for the hitch (checking it)

For all you SuperGlide owners - if you didn't see my other post, the best price I have found on Slip Plate is slipplate.com. 6 - 12 ounce cans delivered to my door for $57.00

BruteForce

What kind of king pin?

If the "movable" part is moving back and forth a bit it wouldn't matter if the windows are open or closed - you most likely would feel and hear it anyway.

The adjustment Jon referenced is easy and is part of the PM for the hitch (checking it)

For all you SuperGlide owners - if you didn't see my other post, the best price I have found on Slip Plate is slipplate.com. 6 - 12 ounce cans delivered to my door for $57.00

My mistake. It's not the Kingpin, it's the SuperGlide 5th wheel plate. I did the adjustment today on the hitch, but there wasn't much I could do without the auto-slider not setting back flush. Since the 5'er is still in service, I won't know about adjusting the Superglide plate until I have the trailer back. I've only had this setup since March. Is it possible the plastic wear plates need replacement already? I have around 3k miles on the 5'er thus far.

jnbhobe

My mistake. It's not the Kingpin, it's the SuperGlide 5th wheel plate. I did the adjustment today on the hitch, but there wasn't much I could do without the auto-slider not setting back flush. Since the 5'er is still in service, I won't know about adjusting the Superglide plate until I have the trailer back. I've only had this setup since March. Is it possible the plastic wear plates need replacement already? I have around 3k miles on the 5'er thus far.

Is this by chance the new SuperGlide with the all plastic wear surfaces that just came out??