weak brakes on new 3592re

heartland
have new 3592re, brakes have been weak from day one. have a p-3 controller on gmc that has pulled several other 5th wheels fine. i have done the burnishing in procedure on page four of lippert manual, helped some, but at 50 to 60 mph, truck brakes must stop camper. not good,
camper goes back to nobles rv, owattona ,mn. this coming wednesday. any ideas on what my problem could be, i have adjusted the p-3 every setting with no help.

Gary Thate

jimtoo

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I would think you probably need a good adjustment on the brake shoes. I had my bearings packed and brakes adjusted... had none when I started to leave... they had to readjust brakes.

Enjoy the forum and let us know what happens.

Jim M

gasman

Camp Socializer
You could try using the brake boost on your controller. It is the wand with the little starburst on the end. Pushing it once will cause the trailer to brake the same as the truck, twice causes the trailer to brake 10% more and three times adds 25%. Push it that dreaded fourth time resets the boost feature to normal.

lwmcguir

You can jump from your aux pin to the brake pin while in the drive or a large parking lot. That should put 100% on the brakes. don't do this for more than a couple of minutes. If it don't lock up the wheels then you most likely have a wiring/magnet issue. If it does then it is between the connector and your controller.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Did you dealer adjust your brakes prior to you picking it up Mine didn't. Don't assume they did. If you know how to adjust your brakes then you need to check them yourself. If you don't then try to learn how. If you can't do it then get it somewhere that can. Trailer brakes need to be adjusted periodically. If they are not adjusted correctly you will wear out the brakes on the TV prematurely and not be able to stop like you should.

lwmcguir

Did you dealer adjust your brakes prior to you picking it up Mine didn't. Don't assume they did. If you know how to adjust your brakes then you need to check them yourself. If you don't then try to learn how. If you can't do it then get it somewhere that can. Trailer brakes need to be adjusted periodically. If they are not adjusted correctly you will wear out the brakes on the TV prematurely and not be able to stop like you should.

Jim is right on. If the Coach wont stop itself you shouldnt have it on the hiway. We have seen several wrecks over the years and only one of them had enought brake to stop itself. The others ran off hiway into fields luckily without taking somone else along.