$40/mo unlimited, no contract data plan

AlexSian

Mobile Broadband Consultant
Over the weekend, electronista reported that VirginMobile prematurely confirmed
forthcoming plans to provide truly unlimited mobile broadband data service with
no contract, for $40/mo on VM's FaceBook page. If this really happens, it should
seriously change the mobile broadband market, and the consumers win!

More info at: http://j.mp/c4XWot

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Welcome back Alex. Good to put a face to the name and thanks for the info.

noobee

Over the weekend, electronista reported that VirginMobile prematurely confirmed
forthcoming plans to provide truly unlimited mobile broadband data service with
no contract, for $40/mo on VM's FaceBook page. If this really happens, it should
seriously change the mobile broadband market, and the consumers win!

More info at: http://j.mp/c4XWot

Please keep us posted as this develops.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hi Alex
Nice to hear from you again. The service sounds good but how good is the coverage? So far with both Verizon and Sprint I can usually get a signal some where. It would be chaper for me but not if I can't get online all the time.

Thanks.. Look forward to hearing from you again.
BC

BTW.. We will be in the Dallas Area again this Novemeber. Maybe this time we can get togeather..

AlexSian

Bobcat, virginmobile uses the sprint network, so i suspect it should be the same as sprint coverage.
Ping me closer to november so we can try and meet?

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Let me see if I understand this right. I already have a Verizon air card that I run through a router. The air card is hooked up to an antenna.
I would need to buy the the modem or the router to make this work?

AlexSian

Let me see if I understand this right. I already have a Verizon air card that I run through a router. The air card is hooked up to an antenna. I would need to buy the the modem or the router to make this work?
are you considering replacing your verizon service with virgin mobile service?
if so, and you have a cradlepoint router, i'd suggest you get the virgin mobile 760 USB modem that has an antenna jack.
you might need a different adapter cable to use your antenna with the 760 USB modem.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Alex
I have a Verizon USB760 air card. I was having a problem connecting because it would not recognize my user name and password. I called in a number of times and finally a network guy called me back and we got it running again. He said my Sprint software was causing the problem. It seems the Sprint Smartview software stays on the system tray and in memory. When I start to use my Verizon air card it corrupts their profile on the server. This is because they are the same brand. Novatel Wireless Ovation Qualcomm. He told me to make sure my Sprint software was terminated before inserting my air card.

He also indicated that I am qualified to get an upgrade. Don't remember the new modem. He said the new one would be faster. It would also cause my contract to renew. Do you have any thoughts?

BC

AlexSian

He also indicated that I am qualified to get an upgrade. Don't remember the new modem. He said the new one would be faster. It would also cause my contract to renew. Do you have any thoughts?
there is nothing from verizon that is faster than the USB760. sounds to me like a ploy to get you to renew a contract with them. if your verizon service is working well for you now, i see nothing currently available from them that would make me renew a contract... except maybe for a cross-grade to a droid 2?

i realize you were doing it because of connection difficulties, but if i were you, i would not even be using the USB modem atached to pc and would instead operate it attached to router, and connect PC to router.

happy trails, bob

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I normally use the air cards in the router when in the trailer. I will check the availabe signal from the laptop before I connect to the router, but mainly use the air cards in the computer when I am at someone elses place, doing laundry, or some other activity away from the trailer.

Guess I have to be aware when the software is active. Seems strange that the sprint software can mess up the profile on the Verizon's server. They have different numbers and a different configuration. Seems like Verizon is not as secure as they should be.

BC

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Alex
I have a Verizon USB760 air card. I was having a problem connecting because it would not recognize my user name and password. I called in a number of times and finally a network guy called me back and we got it running again. He said my Sprint software was causing the problem. It seems the Sprint Smartview software stays on the system tray and in memory. When I start to use my Verizon air card it corrupts their profile on the server. This is because they are the same brand. Novatel Wireless Ovation Qualcomm. He told me to make sure my Sprint software was terminated before inserting my air card.

BC
Bobcat, Can't you just close the Sprint software through the tray? I remember when I first loaded VZ Access for Verizon, there was the option to run at start up, I checked no. I usually shut everything off that I'm not using in the tray. PC seems to run better too. Just a thought...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ray
The software does not run when I restart the computer, but when I launch it, it places it's self in ram and stores an icon on the system tray. I have to close the session on the system tray also. I am running the newest version, 2.40+. The older versions did not hold a session in the system tray, but this one does. When you close the active application it still leaves the one in the system tray running. I have to close it also. I looked in all the application options and can not find out where to keep it from storing in the system tray.

BC

boatdoc

Both the wife and I have Sprint Cell phones and have no complaint, we live VERY rural. We also use the Verizon air card and have good service here and everywhere we go but the $20.00 a month less has us thinking change. This new plan seems like a good deal, is it too early to jump ship and join them? Will our Cradlepoint CTR350 work with the new modem that one must purchase from Virgin? Thanks

Last edited:

AlexSian

Both the wife and I have Sprint Cell phones and have no complaint, we live VERY rural. We also use the Verizon air card and have good service here and everywhere we go but the $20.00 a month less has us thinking change. This new plan seems ike a good deal, is it too early to jump ship and join them? Will our Cradlepoint CTR350 work with the new modem that one must purchase from Virgin? Thanks
Yes, the cradlepoint should work fine with the MC760 USB modem.
is it too early to jump ship? maybe. at the very least, don't cut vzw until you've tested vm for a couple weeks? a month?

Paul & Nan

We have been considering Verizon wireless, this less expensive one seems a good plan. Now for a "stupid" question, why do I want this cradlepoint when there is a modem that supports more than one computer. Just trying to understand the technology so we get it right. Thanks for any input. Nan

sgtbigb

Another stupid question, 2 items is listed, one for an individual computer and the MiFi 2200 will allow up to 5 computors? Is that what I am reading?