Tire wear

motoflash

The right front tire on my 2010 Augusta is wearing a lot faster than the other three. I have aprox. 12,000 miles on the coach and I run 110 psi. The left rear is next in wear and the other two seem to be fine. Can it be a mis alighnment of the axels or maybe the brake on that tire is getting more current than the others?
Frank Heard
member #1594

hoefler

Depends on the what type of tire wear you are talking about. If it is even across the tread, the brakes could be too tight or not releasing, a bearing too tight, brake controller sending power, etc.. If it is uneven or scalloped, it could be a misalignmen, bent axle, bad spring, bad spring bushing or bolt, loose or bent mounting brakets on the frame, loose u-bolts, etc..

motoflash

I noticed that the outside was wearing first and it progressed to the middle. It seems that I can see the full lenght of the coach in the driver side mirror when traveling, but only half way down on the right side mirror. I have wondered if it might be an alighnment problem. Would I be better served by taking the unit to the factory or back to the dealer? It is still under warranty.

lwmcguir

Factory or the dealer will neither on cover an alignment issue. Most likely they will say you turned to sharp or hit a curb and possibly a deep pot hole. Sounds like you axle is bent in and the tire is wearing accordingly. Take it to a trailer alignment shop that can hold a 40 foot rig and in a couple of hours they will bend it back into the proper setting.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The 1st thing I would do is get HL involved. Take lots of pix of the tires and the springs and email them to HL. Ask HL if you can take it to a frame shop where you are. Be advised that you will probably get sent over to Lippert if its a frame/alignment problem. Have all your ducks in a row. Get a weight slip on the coach axles as it is loaded now. Make sure it is certified and dated. Lippert has a weasle clause...."your overloaded....you hit something" and a multitude of others.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One other thing to consider, is if your coach is still under warranty and you take it to an allignment shop, that will void the frame warranty.
Do what others have said, take pics and make calls.

Peace
Dave

K

karykatz

Frank,

I would recommend taking to your dealer and have them check this out.

motoflash

Many thanks to all who replied. We are in NH now and are leaving for TX in three weeks. I will head straight for the dealer.