Black Tank Flush Problem?

I ran my black tank flush for the first time, and I was surprised to see water starting to leak out of the fresh water connection. I unscrewed the fresh water connection, and a significant amount of water under high pressure shot out of the connection. After the water stopped gushing out I could hear water entering the plumbing, but I didn't detect a similar volume dumping from the black tank. Is this normal?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That is strange. As far as I know from my rig, there is no connection between the black tank flush and the rest of the plumbing system. Unless the vacuum breaker is kerflooey, all the water you run into the black tank fitting ends up in the tank and out the drain (unless you've got a lump of "stuff" blocking the drain). Sometimes, when I'm dumping, the flow will drop to a trickle sooner than I think it should. Usually means there's blockage, so I let the flush run and eventually, the dam breaks. Recent deposits to the tank that haven't had time to break up tend to do that.

If it seems really stubborn, I'll backflush the drain.

That is strange. As far as I know from my rig, there is no connection between the black tank flush and the rest of the plumbing system. Unless the vacuum breaker is kerflooey, all the water you run into the black tank fitting ends up in the tank and out the drain (unless you've got a lump of "stuff" blocking the drain). Sometimes, when I'm dumping, the flow will drop to a trickle sooner than I think it should. Usually means there's blockage, so I let the flush run and eventually, the dam breaks. Recent deposits to the tank that haven't had time to break up tend to do that.

If it seems really stubborn, I'll backflush the drain.

Strange indeed. I have a service appointment this week with the dealer to resolve warranty issues found during the PDI. I will have them take a look at it. Thanks for the feedback.

Well, the dealer thought I was crazy when I described what I experienced with the black tank flush, but after opening the panel they discovered the flush connection was connected to the fresh water tank. It wasn't connected to the black tank. I'm not sure about the details, but the dealer is going to order a complete replacement of the guts. This issue along with about a half dozen other problems discovered when the TT was delivered makes one wonder if the Heartland factory has a QC process.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Good that you found the problem. Bad that is was something as stupid as connecting the black tank flush line to the fresh water tank. I would wager that with the VIN number, that Heartland could identify who worked on your rig and have a little closed door counseling session with them.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Seems to me like I have heard somewhere the persons who work at the factory receive bonuses based on how many problems units they worked on have. The more problems the lower the bonus. Too many problems and no bonus. Maybe someone from the factory can explain how this works because if it is correct it would be important we get our units fixed by a dealer so there would be a quality record.