weight limits

Just weighed my 3950 ready to roll and I'm already at GVWR!

My weights Pin, FWD, Mid and Rear axle are 4660, 4500, 4300, and 4620, respectively. I had a full load of water so I'll drop 10 gals or so and be right on the numbers.

Except for too much water weight forward, I'm about 1500+ under GAWR.

I had expected that I would hit GAWR before I overloaded the trailer, obviously that is not the case for in this trip.

If it is not proprietary, what is the limiting design factor on the trailer - the frame stress? Stiffness? Fatigue strength?

Last edited:

Mike Aplin

Your unit is rated at 18,000 GVWR with the following components. The triple axles are rated at 18,000 as well as the tires and the king pin. All of these three components work together to achieve the 18,000 GVWR. Take care, Mike

gpshemi

I always wondered if a person could argue that the pin doesn't count towards the axle weight since it's on the truck.
Which arguably would leave you at 13,420lbs. Sounds like that's not the case.

Since that's true, all these upset posts of axle ratings being dropped a little bit and getting new stickers, really doesn't account for a hill of beans, since you'll reach the 18k GVWR long before you hit the per axle rating of 6k each.

How may I ask did you get 4600lbs of pin weight? I roughly guessitmated mine to be 3500. Sounds like alot.

How may I ask did you get 4600lbs of pin weight? I roughly guessitmated mine to be 3500. Sounds like alot.

I weighed the whole rig on the local CAT scale - got steer, drive and trailer weights. Then dropped the trailer and got steer and drive weights. Difference between the drive with and without the trailer is the pin weight.

It is a little heavy. I had a full load of water and also have a pair of big 6 volt batteries, a freezer, and modified the queen bed frame for storage up front. It all adds up and faster than I expected. The freezer is going to have to find a new home in the back to get the weight off the pin and I'll have to drop some of the water to get back under 18000.

porthole

Retired
What I don't get is that some Cyclones are rated (decal on the ODS) at the combined axle rating - e.g. my trailer with two 7k axles has a 14K GVW. The Cyclone in front of me at TrailAir had three 6K axles but with a GVW decal of 20,400, apparently on that trailer it was OK to add the pin capacity to the axle capacity.

Why the disparity between models on the same line?

The Cyclone in front of me at TrailAir had three 6K axles but with a GVW decal of 20,400, apparently on that trailer it was OK to add the pin capacity to the axle capacity.

I'd like to know what that Cyclone had that got them up to 20,400! Obviously, my three 6's don't get me there. I have noticed that SOB's sometimes allow more than the sum of the axle capacities also.

Can I just get a pin upgrade to get to the 20,400???

watchthebox

What I don't get is that some Cyclones are rated (decal on the ODS) at the combined axle rating - e.g. my trailer with two 7k axles has a 14K GVW. The Cyclone in front of me at TrailAir had three 6K axles but with a GVW decal of 20,400, apparently on that trailer it was OK to add the pin capacity to the axle capacity.

Why the disparity between models on the same line?

Does it maybe have to do with factors other than the axles? The 3010's do use the smaller 10 inch I-beams. I'm just guessing.

DW_Gray

I'd like to know what that Cyclone had that got them up to 20,400! Obviously, my three 6's don't get me there. I have noticed that SOB's sometimes allow more than the sum of the axle capacities also.

I don't know about a pin upgrade. Some cyclones like mine, the GVWR is 20,400 pounds. Not all that weight will be on the axles. It is shared by the pin or landing gear. Example: The total loaded weight of mine is 17,800. The combined axle load is 14,200 and my pin/landing gear weight is 3,600.

Does your Certification Label on your Pin Box show GVWR 18,000 pounds?

There is a new 3950 here at the RV park I'm at now. I will check its label.

Last edited:

beasleyrl

I have one of those Cyclone's with a 20,400 weight rating on the sticker. It is a 2009 3912 built in January 2008. When I weigh the rig basically empty (fresh water less than 1/3 but fuel tank for generator full but black/gray tanks empty), it weighed in at about 17,500. Without using the sticker weight, it is obviously useless as a toy hauler. However, I don't know how they got to this rating (6k*3=18k), because if I add the pin weight, it would actually put me closer to 22,000 pounds (actual weighed pin weight was about 3,700).

lwmcguir

The GVWR should include the pin weight. Such as on our Augusta from the factory with two 7K axles and a GVWR of 16200. The 2200 is the dry pin weight. We are actually well over 3200 on the pin and usually heavier than that.

porthole

Retired

3-6K axles and a 2400 pin box capacity

gpshemi

Right Porthole, but even using my theory that doesn't make any sense.

His 3950 has a pin weight of 3150lbs. So that would be 18k + 3,150=21,150lbs.
Not 20,400lbs.

So...??!??

DW_Gray

Obviously this is confusing. I sure wish a factory rep would shed some light on this subject.

To make it more confusing or enlightening, I've attached a photo of the label inside my kitchen cabinet door.

IMG_8903w.jpg

lwmcguir

Dave, makes sense to me. Why there are some that don't include the pin makes no sense. Yours would be the 3X6=18.000 + 2400 #PIN = 20400
I would like to hear the factory's take on this as well

I'll have to get pictures of my stickers next week. But my notes say that my 2011 model year 3950 has a maximum allowable cargo weight of 3850 and a dry weight of 14,102 lb.

GVWR is listed as 18,000 lb.

I'd also like this explained!

Yours would be the 3X6=18.000 + 2400 #PIN = 20400
I would like to hear the factory's take on this as well

I'm not sure he has 1283 pounds more capacity than I have even after I take into account the difference in dry weight.

My dry weight is 14102 lb and max rated max cargo weight is 3850 according to the door sticker. I'll post pics next week.

I would really like to understand the difference in the slightly less than 18000 or 18000 (depends upon which sticker you read) and the 20400.

Here are my stickers for comparison with the other unit.....

Attachments

• P9122066.jpg
    P9122066.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 38
  • P9122067.jpg
    P9122067.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 35
  • P9122075.jpg
    P9122075.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 36