Slide out bike rack

Saildogs

Has anyone used the rear bumper slide out bike rack? Have you used it to carry bikes or other gear? Are there any pictures or instructions of carrying a bike?

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Don't have any pictures, but we have used the slide out bike rack on our 21fbs. I have a hitch mount bike rack that I slid over the post and it worked fine. We are going on a 3 week trip soon to Idaho and I will be putting both of my Honda generators. five gallons of gas, 20 # bag of charcoal and our bbq on the rack. It is rated for up to 200#s. In addition to cable locking the generators to the slide out frame, we will use locking pins on the slide out. It is a nice feature that also allows for some weight distribution away from the tongue.

Saildogs

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies. The rack on our TT slides out from unit the TT and is attached to the rear bumper, the same as Invizatu's. Yesterday we actually pulled it out and put Marshall's bike on it. Looks like it will be perfect for taking the bikes with us. We also think it's a great place to carry gasoline for the generator and now for the BBQ.

We leave Saturday for the Adirondack Mountains and the bikes will go with us. YAY!

olyfire

We have a 32 BUDS with the rear pull out bike rack. It works great and we use ours often.
With the center post in place I just lean the first bike against the center post then all of the bikes against each other. I then put a bike cable around all of the bikes and attach it to the center post. I then take a bungee cord through the back tires and another one through the front tires and connect to the hole the pin goes through when the rear bike slide is in. I then take another bungee cord and put around all the the bikes and hook it onto the center post. Can't ever have to many bungees. The bikes seem to ride nice and firm.
Sorry I don't have any pictures.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Diane.... I am having second thoughts about the gasoline back there in case some idiot were to rear end me.
I don't want to turn my North Trail into a Ford "Pinto" ! (If you are old enough to remember that / or not too old to not remember that... lol)

Saildogs

Having been dumb enough to own TWO Ford Pinto's I remember them very well. Guess I'm showing my age. LOL

That's a great point on carrying gasoline on the rear. Rear end collisions are way too common so we'll have to rethink that as well.

Marshall did bring his bike with us on this trip to Lake Placid and has found that riding here is very different from riding at home (Eastern Shore of MD). The bike carrier worked very well on the trip up.

Diane