Brake failures

Dusty

I have my Bighorn3500 at the dealers for wheel bearing packing after returning from a 10,000 mile trip. I am told my brakes are totally shot. I have the drum type on Al Ko axles. I adjusted the brakes right before I left on the trip, and at that time had about 4000 miles on the trailer. I tow with a 2002 Ford F250 diesel with a pac brake to keep from having to ride the brakes. I feel that the life of those shoes was very very short. Anyone else experiencing pre-mature brake failures?

Dusty

My suspicion is that since the manufacturers cannot use asbestos in pads and shoes anymore..we are seeing shorter life...or at least wide variance. I've had pads give up in a little as 30,000 km (19,000 miles) and go as long at 75,000km (47,000 miles). Of course there is always the chance your controller was not set quite right causing more lock-up than necessary (my apologies, if this was not the case)! :)

StevieWonder

Actually, in my experience, that's pretty darn good wear for electric trailer brakes particularly if you're towing in elevated terrains. Even with the engine brake the wear on ANY braking downhill is dramatically higher than on flatland.

Forrest Fetherolf

My 06 3600RL has been towed 24K with Alko 7K axles, @ 18k I pulled the drums to inspect the brakes. I replaced two rear axle seals that were leaking thru to the brake backing plate. The shoes had 3/16" brake lining remaining, I called Alko and was advised new brake shoes are almost 1/4" thick. Alko also advised the break magnets are the first to wear out under normal conditions, the magnets should be replaced when the gray coating is worn thru and the copper color is exposed.

If the brakes are shot at 10k, I would suspect rear seal leaking grease onto lining, brakes adjusted incorrectly (tight), or excessive braking. Ask the mechanic what caused the failure and look at the parts.

Make sure you have a good brake controller and it is adjusted correctly...........I use the BrakeSmart.

Forrest