Greystone landing travel limits

jheitman

How do I know when I'm close to the limit of vertical travel on the landing gear, just before the fuse blows?
I understand that changing this fuse is a real pain, and many people replace it with a circuit breaker.
Anyway, I'd like to paint two lines, one close to each limit of travel, but I can't see how to tell when I'm approaching the limits by watching any other part on the drive mechanism?
Is there another part that you can see approach its limit?
Or, do I drive until I blow the fuse and then mark that position on the powered leg?
I really prefer not to do it that way.

Also, my product demo technician told us to drive out a lot of powered leg, because it is stronger of the two. Is this right? If the gear is set up correctly will there will be more drive leg out than inner leg visible, i.e. the leg with the pin holes?

Thanks, jim

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I marked my leg limits with a magic marker. Haven't had a fuse blow since I did that. For the leg extension, I try to balance the distance so the upper and ower part are close to equal.

jheitman

I marked my leg limits with a magic marker. Haven't had a fuse blow since I did that. For the leg extension, I try to balance the distance so the upper and ower part are close to equal.

But how did you know where to mark the legs? How did you know to stop extending or retracting, just short of blowing the fuse, so you could mark the leg for the maximum limit of motion?

I guess it makes sense to mainly extend the solid tube motor driven part as much as possible since it is bigger and stronger. But this is why I'd like to find the absolute limits of travel, or just short of that, so I have as much flexibility as possible in setting the positions of the legs. I haven't blown this fuse yet but I know others who have.

jim

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
On our BH I have about 10 holes showing on the inner legs. Then drop the landing gear. I do use a 4X10 block when doing this. Have never blown a fuse. As far as retracting, you only need to raise the main/outer legs about a foot off the ground. That is with the inner legs up an pinned.

Rrloren

I think I marked mine while the fuse was blown, haven't blown another since I put the mark on.
If you think it will help . I'll measure how high up the leg my mark is? Gotta wait till it's daylight tho.

jheitman

I think I marked mine while the fuse was blown, haven't blown another since I put the mark on.
If you think it will help . I'll measure how high up the leg my mark is? Gotta wait till it's daylight tho.

Terrific, let me know where the marks are relative to the bottom of the solid drive shaft, or let me know however you measured.

Also, as a side note, how do your Firestone air bags work for you? We get bounced around some vertically when pulling our Greystone, and at some speed we get pushed back and forth in the forward direction, I guess the trailer and the truck are out of phase bouncing, so I thought some spring rate modification might stop that. Thanks.

Last edited:

Buddy32rl

The fuse on my 32rl is in the wiring harness behind the battery. I finally just bought a box of fuses and a fuse puller and leave them next to it. Gotten where I dont blow a fuse often, but it seems to happen at the worst time (raining or in a hurry). I know why the fuse blows, but is there a fix? Or is this a common problem for all RV owners? Surely Greystone doesnt expect everyone to use a magic marker to resolve the problem.

Gaffer

On my BH there is a collar around the leg at the bottom. When retracting watch it and stop before it bottoms out.

jnbhobe

Terrific, let me know where the marks are relative to the bottom of the solid drive shaft, or let me know however you measured.

Also, as a side note, how do your Firestone air bags work for you? We get bounced around some vertically when pulling our Greystone, and at some speed we get pushed back and forth in the forward direction, I guess the trailer and the truck are out of phase bouncing, so I thought some spring rate modification might stop that. Thanks.
As far as the jacks there is a stop welded on the driven part of the leg, I leave it about 4 or 5 inches from the stop so there is some downward adjustment. For the bouncing and chucking I am useing the Trail-air Tri-Glide and it gets rid of most of the movement

jheitman

On my BH there is a collar around the leg at the bottom. When retracting watch it and stop before it bottoms out.

Good suggestion. I've got it sitting right now almost at that point without any trouble. Any suggestion on the extension of the gear?

jim

Duramax1

The fuse on my 32rl is in the wiring harness behind the battery. I finally just bought a box of fuses and a fuse puller and leave them next to it. Gotten where I dont blow a fuse often, but it seems to happen at the worst time (raining or in a hurry). I know why the fuse blows, but is there a fix? Or is this a common problem for all RV owners? Surely Greystone doesnt expect everyone to use a magic marker to resolve the problem.

I have only blown a fuse once but I replaced it with a fuse that automatically resets itself, a circuit breaker which automatically resets it self.

These are available at most automobile supply places.

jheitman

Well, today I ran the legs up and down to the limits. The bottom, fully retracted, is very near the bracket. The top of the range is about 17" and a few fractions above the bottom limit. I marked the leg for top, bottom, 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 travel. If you run your leg out , say 16 3/4" from the bottom stop and mark that position on the leg, that is a good point not to go beyond.

The mechanism just clicked when I hit the bottom, fully retracted, position. The mechanism blew the fuse when I hit the top, fully extended, position. The fuse is located in a small black in-line fuse holder behind the battery. It's a very small, ATM mini blade type, 30A fuse. The type used in the coach fuse panel are ATC regular blade fuses. I suggest you have a couple of these on hand, just in case. The replacement I bought was a Bussmann "easy ID" Illuminating Fuse (BP/ATM-30ID). I guess these glow when blown.

Anyway that's the full story. Thanks for your help along the way.

Last edited: