Overfilling black / grey tanks

phranc

We've filled the shower gray a couple of times ..The drain starts to gurgle a little and a minute or 2 later no more water will go down the drain. Never have filled the galley in the this Rv and I don't see how one could fill the black tank.. 45 gals of 'stuff' would be 2 or 3 weeks at least..

K

Ken Washington

Hi All,
Let me worn you that if you over fill the tank for the kitchen, it might back up out of the vent under the sink. this happened to us so keep an eye on the level in the tanks.

phranc,
We run more water than needed in the black water tank so that when I dump that tank, it has plenty of water to pull the "stuff" out. I usually dump every two to three days and use the flush system every time.

Just my two cents worth! Ken

jpmorgan37

Hi phranc & Ken;
Since we are parked for a spell, we fill our black tank before we dump. It will burp when you flush the toilet and thats when you know it's time. I dump and flush for at least 10 minutes or until the water coming out is clear. Works great for us. Just my 2 cents worth.

nhunter

Thanks everyone. The reason I ask is because my black tank and grey #2 gauges don't read true. The Grey# 2 is always at 2/3 and black seems to be full or empty. I filled them 1/2 full of soap and water and drove but didn't help. I was worried that the vents might be in the basement and if I overflowed!!! Yucky.

timk

I was wondering the same thing, after I got our rig. So I overfilled the tanks just to see what happened. Interestingly our black tank reads full at about 45 gallons. Thats almost to the top of the tank itself. But if you keep filling you can get about 60 till it comes up where you can see the water level threw the stool. So you do have a bit of a cushion. The greys just back up into the sink and showers.

driver311

if u put 60 gal in the black water u should of looked to see how much of a bow there was in the bottom of the tank. don't do that and drive down the road or u could find the tank on the road!!!!!!!!!!!

driver311:) :)

timk

You know, I never thought to look underneath, there sure was a bow in the fresh water tank when it was full. I suspect its hung the same way as the fresh tank, so it probably was hanging low.
TimK

phranc

Ken.. Never gave that vent under the peninsula a thought .Sure might back up into that.. Actually on the black tank , after we dump we add 5 gals of water and some laundry soap and Calgon water softner. That will slosh around while we drive and break up any remaining solids. Also helps to rinse the side walls of the tank and dissolve any solids clinging there or on sensors..And yes , we too use more water when flushing.Even been known to put dishpan wash water down toilet. sure does help to keep things running smooth..Bear in mind though, we don't dry camp for 2 or 3 weeks at a time ..The most would be a couple of days ..Dry Camping changes your perspective on water/electrical use and holding tank use.

Uncle Rog

Howdy nhunter, you might want to check one of my earlier posts as well as from a fella named chopperbill. I included some photos of a 3600rl that had some drainage issues from up hill sewer / grey water lines. Bill also had some problems, easy to fix under warranty, not so easy done by yourself................

nhunter

I did read that post, but I live in mine when working and haven't had any time off to get it looked at. I have a few small issues that need to be fixed before Feb. but that doesn't look promising so they might get to be on my bill.

Uncle Rog

Just as an after thought, you might put together your punch list and present it to your dealer, then make arrangements for a warranty trip at your convenience, as long as you don't add to your list after the 12 mos expires. The warranty covers 12 mos, I didn't see where it had to be fixed in that period? Check it out.....

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We had a situation similar to this a few years ago with a TT we owned. The warranty was soon to expire and no time to take the camper in for repairs. I made my dealer aware of the problems, and I took it in when I could. My problem was fixed after the warranty had ended, no problem. I too believe if you make your dealer aware of your problems all will be well.

Okay all,
Flushed black tank after a few days of visitors. About a cup of black water came down around my pipe (right above sewer hose connection) and went on ground. Nothing else. Yes I had noticed my toilet bubbling right before I dumped. I had started flush a few seconds before opening valve Is this an overflow issue or are there more serious issues. 2019 - 3850 Bighorn.

danemayer

Okay all,
Flushed black tank after a few days of visitors. About a cup of black water came down around my pipe (right above sewer hose connection) and went on ground. Nothing else. Yes I had noticed my toilet bubbling right before I dumped. I had started flush a few seconds before opening valve Is this an overflow issue or are there more serious issues. 2019 - 3850 Bighorn.
Sounds like there's a blockage at the valve for the black tank. Given that the toilet is bubbling, the tank is probably quite full. You can try back flushing to move the blockage, but be careful about adding more water to the tank.

A clear twist-on backflush adapter and a twist-on gate valve will let you force water back into the black tank. You'll need to keep the grays closed while doing this. And again, be careful about how much water is added.

Don't use the trailer's black tank flush at this point. You could have very undesirable results if the black tank can't accommodate any more water.

Here's a clear adapter with built-in gate valve. Your local RV dealer may have this as well. For regular use, another twist-on gate valve is a good addition to the sewer outlet. This one would stay on the sewer outlet while traveling. Open the valve after attaching the clear adapter and sewer hose. It'll keep from spilling black water when you uncap the outlet. Also, if you have a slow leak at the black tank valve, it'll keep you from losing all the water in the black tank, leading to a poo pile. Keep the handle at 1 o'clock so the weight keeps it twisted on.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you’re sure the valve gate is actually opening and closing (cable problem), there have been cases where the cutout for the toilet drain fell into the tank during assembly and ends up blocking the tank outlet inside the tank.

Careful back flushing as mentioned by Dan may move it out of the way, but it may block again in the future. It’s too big to pass through the gate valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk