Caulking the Exterior Joints

gomcalli

This is a call to all those long time RV's!!!

What type of caulking do you use on your RV for sealing joints on the exterior of your RV? Is there a Heartland recommended brand to use and how often are you checking the caulking.

Your opinions would be most appreciated.:cool:

G

PSF513

I have used ProFlex RV Sealant with success. I get it through my dealer and I check all the external joints every 3 - 4 months.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
ProFlex is excellent! I generally use it on windows...I also have had good luck with Dicor Lap Sealent They make both a Self-Leveling for horizontal surfaces and a Non-Sag for vertical applications.

archbarb

ProFlex is excellent! I generally use it on windows...I also have had good luck with Dicor Lap Sealent They make both a Self-Leveling for horizontal surfaces and a Non-Sag for vertical applications.

We just picked up our BC 3250TS which is the same color (exterior) as yours. What is the caulking color name?

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I use 3M 5200. It is a marine caulk for the topside and have used it for years on boats. Only problem is it only comes in white.

gomcalli

I would also like to add what solvent should I use to remove some of the old caulking? Has anyone had any success using sikaflex as a sealant. I have used it in construction projects and it has worked great but on a EPDM roof I am unsure about.

G

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
We just picked up our BC 3250TS which is the same color (exterior) as yours. What is the caulking color name?

I have had a difficult time finding it...I think Heartland Customer Service could hook you up! I believe it's called Dove Gray!

porthole

Retired
3m 5200 is more of an adhesive then it is a caulk.

If you plan on using 5200 be advised there are two versions - fast and slow cure. Slow cure (blue tube) takes up to 7 days to fully cure. Fast cure takes about 24 hours.

bighorn3370

I bought some Sikaflex from Heartland. I have not used it for two reasons. They sold it to me sausage packaging, not in the the tube for a caulking gun. It has very short shelf life also. I did let Heartland know about the packaging so they may have it in the tube. I would ask before you order it. Ernie

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you are like me and are not very good at caulking here is what I do. I take some blue painters tape and tape off the area I want to caulk. One piece of tape above and another below. The area between the tape is where the caulk goes. if you want you can either use your finger or put on some rubber gloves and use your finger to help smooth it out. Let it cure and then remove the tape. It should give you a more professional look without the mess. Works for me.